Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
jewelly77
Casting On

pattern idea
Hey guys its me again
I recently was asking about a good pattern for a wrap using leftover stash yarn, had THOUGHT i was going to do a chevron type pattern, but ive pulled it out 5xs already. Its a little too much thinking for me....i know its really not that complicated, but i have an eight mon old little guy who is always on the move and i have to keep putting it down and picking it back up again. Im not a fan of garter stitch, so i was thinking of doing knit a row, then purl one knit one, and repeat those two rows. I love the look of stockingette stitch, so when i found this it looked alot like it. My question is will it curl up? And im casting on like 200 sts, and doing a different color every other row. What do u guys think? Im worried u wont see the definition of the pattern becuz im switching yarns alot, but trying to use yarns with approx same gauge range but its not EXACATE. so any thoughts??

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
jewelly77
Casting On

why???
Forgot to ask in my prev post. When u look up a certain stitch pattern... why do they say... (for ex.) multiple of 2 sts. plus 1. Why dont they just say to cast on an odd number????
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
In the case of multiple of 2 +1 it would be an odd number, but if it was a say a multiple of 3 +1 it wouldn't always be an even number.

I think if you did one row as plain knit and the other as k1 p1, it should lie flat. If you can CO about 30 sts and try it out for 4 or 5", that should be enough to see if it'll be flat.

Last edited by suzeeq : 03-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
jewelly77 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

Think about this: If a designer only gives you the number of stitches to cast on (as opposed to a multiple of stitches), then you're stuck either only using that stitch pattern for that object or you have to figure out what the multiple of stitches are for use on another project.

Designers give multiples of stitches for patterns so you can use the stitch pattern for anything you want (provided you're going from a worked flat pattern to a worked flat pattern or from an in the round pattern to another in the round pattern). As long as your cast on number of stitches equals the multiples + whatever number of stitches, you're good to go.

Personally, I love it when they include this information because I'm often looking for other stitch patterns to use rather than what's provided.

For example, right now I'm knitting a short-sleeved shirt, and I want to add a lace border to the bottom of it (something that's not part of the original pattern). So I look for stitch patterns that give multiples, which makes it easy for me to figure out whether the pattern repeats will fit into the stitches I already have on my needle.

Besides, it's not that hard to multiply (and add) it out to find your CO stitch number!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
jewelly77 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
The k1p1 rows keep this pattern from curling. When you try a swatch you can do 2 rows in one color and you might also try 4 rows in one color before you change yarns just to see what that does to the look of the pattern.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
jewelly77 (03-30-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Re: pattern idea
I am new to knitting and to the forum. My first project was a scarf that repeated the two rows you are talking about, EXCEPT it was P1K1 instead of K1P1...my edges did curl up a bit. I wonder if this is because the first and last stitch on every other row was a purl stitch instead of a knit stitch (since I started with an odd number of stitches)? Does anyone know if this would cause the curling of the edges? Since I am new, I suspect it could be something else entirely...
CraftyCricketNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Antares
Working the Gusset

Did you purl one row and knit the next throughout? If so, that's still stockinette stitch (even though you may be looking at reverse stockinette on the "right side" of your scarf). And stockinette stitch always curls if you don't add borders to it. That's just the nature of the beast!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
CraftyCricketNC (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you knit somewhat tightly or use a smaller needle, that can cause the edges to curl, even if you alternated a knit stitch and a purl st on the same row. Doesn't matter that you started with a purl instead of knit, that wouldn't do it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
CraftyCricketNC (04-02-2012)