Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
rudysmom
Casting On

k2tog with edge stitch
Hi,
I'm working on a knitted lace shawl and I've completed the body and am trying to start the knitted on edging. I've cast on 17 stitches per the instructions and knitted the first row which is as follows;
k1, k2tog, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, ssk, ssk, k4, k2tog with edge stitch.

What does K2tog with edge stitch mean? I know it's a way of trying to attach the border to the body, but I can't figure out how to do it! any help that anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I love this shawl, it is a gift for my aunt, the sooner I figure this out the sooner I can give it to her! Thanks
rudysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you get to the last stitch of the edging, knit it together with a stitch from the shawl body. If the shawl is on the needles with live sts then just start at one end of the needle and knit the sts off it every other row of the edging. If you've bound off but there are loops on the edge of the shawl, use one of them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
rudysmom
Casting On

Hi Suzeeq,
thanks so much for the quick response! I guess i'm a little slow (I GUESS!???) Which stitch do I put the needle through first? The one on the edge or the last one on the needle? I have 205 live stitches.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Since you're doing a k2tog, the st on the left is the one you put the R needle through first. I think that one would be on the needle, since the edging would be on the right.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
rudysmom
Casting On

Now I'm really confused! Both the live stitches and the edge I'm knitting on to are on the left!? Lets see, my existing work is a triangle on my left needle, my right needles is bare. I have 205 live stitches on the left, I cast on 17 additional stitches with which to knit the edging. the first row reads as I said in my initial posting. The last thing i do is k2tog with edge stitch, but the edge stitch is BELOW the row I'm working on. (I'm at the uppper right hand corner of the triangle, point facing down) I hope this makes sense, i have to go away for a school function with one of my sons and I want to take my knitting with me. I'm pulling my hair out here!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

It's okay if the last edge st on the shawl is lower than the edging, they'll even out when knit together. I think the shawl should be point up with RS facing and you're knitting the edging onto the right edge of it.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
With the right side of the triangle facing with the point down and the working yarn coming off the 205sts on the left needle, you've cast on the 17 edge sts. It seems that you're adding the edge to the side opposite the point of the triangle (this is the side that would be at a person's neck if the shawl is worn with the point down the back). Is that correct or do you want to add the edging down the side of the triangle heading toward the point?

A link to the pattern would really help or even the name of the pattern so that we could see what it looks like.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
rudysmom
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
With the right side of the triangle facing with the point down and the working yarn coming off the 205sts on the left needle, you've cast on the 17 edge sts. It seems that you're adding the edge to the side opposite the point of the triangle (this is the side that would be at a person's neck if the shawl is worn with the point down the back). Is that correct or do you want to add the edging down the side of the triangle heading toward the point?

A link to the pattern would really help or even the name of the pattern so that we could see what it looks like.

OMG! You understand exactly what I'm talking about! The designer (I emailed her) told me to work the edging over the 205 live stitches. I've done that, but now I have this beautiful edging across the neck and the sides of the triagle where they edging should be is bare! I am so frustrated I could just scream! I have frogged this edging twice already and it's looking like I'm going to have to frog it again!!! I want nothing more than to sit here and knit this weekend, but I don't dare go any further, I'm sure that what I'm doing is wrong! The name of the pattern is "Flambe one skein shawl" and I purchased it from Annies Attic. I would be happy to put the pattern into an attachment and email it to you if that would help. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this problem, I'm at my wit's end!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
rudysmom
Casting On

There is a link on Ravelry that the designer told me was supposed to help it make sense.

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/fickl...82747/26-50#49

She said start reading at post #49. there are several pictures there as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
The pictures certainly show the edging on either side of the point rather than at the neck edge. You could continue the edging around and down toward the point and then back up the other side. You don't have live sts on those two edges but you could pick up the end sts in each row.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote