Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
keninmaine
Casting On

Increase AND conceal wrap together?
Hi everyone,

I am making a hermit crab (by Hansi Singh) and I have gotten to a point where I've run into something that I've never seen before. At this point in the pattern there are short rows, so you have to wrap and turn. When returning to that wrap on the following knit row you need to conceal that wrap. I've done that before so no problem there. But at that point in the pattern, the stitch that was the wrap around it also needs to have an increase; the pattern calls for a k-fb (knit through front and back loop). But if I lift the wrap over and behind the first stitch on the needle, that leaves me with two stitches on the left needle to take care of. Essentially the pattern is asking me for a decrease (the first stitch on the left needle and the wrap behind it) and also an increase at that same time. Has anyone come across that before? I'm not sure if there is a "correct" way to handle this or if anyone has any suggestions? I tried to do a k-fb through both the stitch and the wrap, but that leaves a really noticeable bump on the knit side of the work. My only thought is to lift the wrap over and behind the first stitch and then to knit the stitch by itself AND then actually knit the wrap by itself. This would potentially accomplish what the pattern is asking for, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet to see how it would work.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ken
keninmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keninmaine For This Useful Post:
dyncdoony (11-07-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could probably just knit the stitch and its wrap as 2 separate sts and hopefully that will conceal the gap. Doing a lifted inc where you knit into the st below the one on the needle would be pretty much the same, so I think that should work out okay.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote