Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Kanaye
Casting On

Suzeeq, That's what I'm doing now with the crochet hook. Problem was that with using a giant needle, (size 15, not 13) I /had/ to move the stitches down to the tip just to fit the other needle between the stitches.

I'm using the crochet hook method, DogCatMom offered. I already have about 120 stitches. I'm using a size D crochet hook and it is working great. I'm not having any issues keeping the stitches lose enough to move up and down the shaft of the needle nor any issues fitting the hook between the stitches.

I divide all readers into two classes: those who read to remember and those who read to forget.
~William Lyon Phelps
Kanaye is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It takes practice to do it with just needle especially ones that large; they have a very long tip compared to smaller needles and it's tempting to just work close to the tip. But I'm glad the hook is working for you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It would help if you could give us a link to the pattern. I've found that sometimes pattern designers make it more difficult than it needs to be. We might be able to help you come up with a better solution. I think 314 or whatever the stitch count was seems like an awful lot to cable cast on. Red flags went up for me when I saw that number.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Some shawls that start at the bottom edge and use 300-400 sts, and it's easier to use a single CO than long tail. But I usually do the knit cast on so it's looser and stretchier. Some people find cable to be stretchier but you have to do it very very loosely.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

On Sunday, I finished casting on 449 sts for the outer edge of the Stora Dimun Faroese-style shawl from Cheryl Oberle's book, Folk Shawls http://www.cheryloberle.com/BooksPatterns.html

Which is why, in my first response to this thread, I inquired whether the OP's project is starting at the outer edge and working back to the "beginning," as this Faroese shawl does. I mean, the rows have got to be smaller than 449 sts!!! Who could wear it otherwise?

DogCatMom
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Recently there's been lots of patterns for smaller crescent shaped shawls that start at the lower edge with several inches of lace, then a few decrease rows and short row shaping with decreases so you end up with about half as many sts as you CO. See Annis and other designs by the same person, they're gorgeous and don't really take long at all.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Kanaye
Casting On

Sorry I didn't realize this thread was still receiving responses.

I can't give you the link to the pattern, it is in a knitting book, French Girl Knits.

I actually did the 314, got up 5 rows (after several mistakes and having to recast on multiple times) I put it on a string and put it on and it hung down to the floor. I was kind of mad. I undid it again and recast on twice more, subtracting the number each time.

I went to my knit-a-long with my 6 rows at 193 stitches and she said, oh, its supposed to be ginormous. Its a scalloped edge pattern and after you get past the scallops it (supposedly) shrinks down to a reasonable size.

I'm also size 28/30, so 314 stitches is about right for one my size.

On another note, with all that undoing and recasting on, I've done over 1000 cable cast on stitches, all using DogCatMom's suggestion. I do it listening to an audiobook and several times I cable cast on over the amount I needed, using the crochet hook was so easy.

I divide all readers into two classes: those who read to remember and those who read to forget.
~William Lyon Phelps
Kanaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
lovekittycats1965
Casting On

also when you put the new stitch on the needle, make sure it goes past the tip because the tip is thinner than the rest of the needle. then cast on your next stitch.

Links to free knitting patterns from all over the world. Google translate rocks!

Free International Knitting Patterns
lovekittycats1965 is offline   Reply With Quote