Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I'm glad you've found a method that works for YOU!!! That's really THE most important factor in knitting! Really, there's no "knitting police" out there who are waiting to pounce and shout that that's not the "right" way to do it!!!

I started out with the English method and eventually switched to Continental, my own version of it. As long as the stitches are turning out OK whichever method you use is FINE!!!!

Glad you've joined the ranks!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
yeah I seem to do a bit of everything. For 100% cotton I find I do mostly continental purl but with the mercerized wool there is enough elasticity to do Norwegian purl. For the rows that I have to use a cable needle I do English Style. Also sometimes English after I have made an error and am in the process of correcting it. It seems to be good for me as my hands are not always in the same position. I think though when I come to a pattern that I will have to swatch to check guage I will need to take this into consideration. I am not sure what to do but maybe make the swatch using mainly the stye I would use given the pattern and the type of yarn? I am not sure, or throw a couple of rows of English style. Does anyone else do different methods for 1 pattern? If so how do you do a swatch? I am guessing that my continental style is a tad looser that English. I have tried to remember that when switching to English
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,418 Times in 3,098 Posts
Try a swatch in each method with the same yarn and needles and see if the different methods really give you a different gauge. In general, I would do mostly the same technique throughout a pattern just to ensure an even gauge but see if there really is a measurable difference.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
that is a good suggestion. I will do 2 swatches. If there is a difference then I will just use one method or the other for the project. I am just finishing the cable scarf and so far the knitting seems fairly even even though I mixed the style up. I am not sure if that is because of the type of yarn or because my stitches are even tension between English,continental and Norwegian.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
lovekittycats1965
Casting On

i cannot even describe how my mother taught me to purl. I've never seen anybody else do it but I can purl a row that way faster than i can knit a row. but it involved me switching yarn between my right and left hands for knit vs purl

I finally FORCED myself to do the continental by doing a baby blanket so it wouldn't make any difference how uneven my stitches were. By the end of it, my stitches were even and I was so used to it that I don't even pick up the yarn in my right hand any longer.

I too had and still am experimenting with the purl. the way I do it, I twist my left wrist forward and yeah that aches after a while. Lately I've been trying to just catch the yarn by moving the right needle more but I need more practice at it.

the best video i've seen showed somebody tensioning the yarn with their middle finger and then dipping their pointer finger down to form the purl. I'm going to try that this weekend. starting another baby blanket

Links to free knitting patterns from all over the world. Google translate rocks!

Free International Knitting Patterns
lovekittycats1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovekittycats1965 For This Useful Post:
Christinechrstms1 (06-28-2012)