Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Oanalebanon
Casting On

Pullover help
Hi.i am having difficulties in knitting a pullover.
The pattern says:
Cast on 79 sts.
RS - slip 1,work Rib pattern to last 4sts,work even in Rev St st(beg with a purl row) to end.
Work even,slipping first st and purling the last st of every row,until piece measures 8" from beg,end with WS row.
Establish sleeves:
RS-work 35 st change to waste yarn,k31,turn p31,turn,change to working yarn,work to end.
Work even till piece measures 42" from beg,end with WS row.
RS- establish second sleeve as for first.
Work even for 8",end with WS row.
Bind off all sts.
Sew cast-on and bound-off edges together.
Would you please explain for me all these because it's so confusing and i am not a professional knitter and i just love this pullover.
Thank you from all my heart and waiting for your kind reply as soon as you can.
Oanalebanon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
Cast on 79 sts.
RS - slip 1,work Rib pattern to last 4sts,work even in Rev St st(beg with a purl row) to end. slip the first st, work the rib pattern until there are 4sts left on the left needle. Work the 4 last sts in reverse st st (purl these 4 sts on the first row, knit the 4sts on row 2, purl the 4sts on row 3, knit on row 4 and so on.)
Work even,slipping first st and purling the last st of every row,until piece measures 8" from beg,end with WS row. Continue this pattern without increases or decreases until you have 8 inches, ending with a wrong side row. While you're doing this, remember to slip the first st on every row and pur the last stitch.
Establish sleeves:
RS-work 35 st change to waste yarn,k31,turn p31,turn,change to working yarn,work to end. Work across 35sts, then drop the working yarn and use waste yarn for the next 31sts, turn so that the needle in your left hand is now in the right hand and vice versa.and purl back across those 31sts. Pick up the working yarn (which should be right there) and work to the end
Work even till piece measures 42" from beg,end with WS row. Keep up the pattern on these sts (the ones knit with the working yarn)without increasing or decreasing
Bind off all sts.
I think that these instructions will become clearer as you work the piece rather than trying to read them without needles in hand.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just take them step by step. It may help you to print them out with line breaks between the directions, like this -

Cast on 79 sts.

RS - slip 1,work Rib pattern to last 4sts,work even in Rev St st (beg with a purl row) to end.

Work even,slipping first st and purling the last st of every row, until piece measures 8" from beg,end with WS row.

Establish sleeves:
RS-work 35 st change to waste yarn,k31,turn p31,turn,change to working yarn,work to end.

Work even till piece measures 42" from beg,end with WS row.

Bind off all sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
Do you have a link to this pattern or a pattern name?
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

This seems like a pretty straightforward pattern to me, but then I've been knitting a while. Are you a beginner? I would suggest you first go to the Yarn Council's website and become familiar with knitting abbreviations. They also have a great tutorial to teach you how to read yarn labels. I think you could do this pattern if you just take it one small step at a time. Print the pattern out and cross off or highlight with a marker the parts you've finished. You can also try another pattern that's more on your level with simple shaping, then work your way up as your skill level improves. Please don't be offended by the For Dummies website link. I'm not implying anything, they just give good info. Scroll down through the Lion brand site for sweater patterns. They have labels such as advanced, intermediate, beginner, and easy. It's helpful to make a baby sweater for your first one so you can see how sweaters are constructed. Also, it uses less yarn and takes less time, giving instant gratification, which we knitters all need.

http://craftyarncouncil.com/knit.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...rn-labels.html

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/p...=0&Go.y=0&sT=1
fatoldladyinpjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I wouldn't recommend Lion patterns in general - they often have mistakes and seem to use the more difficult way to do something.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote