Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
Yes, I agree, You can think of the rows between the decrease rows as knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts. The only thing that changes in these rows is the cable pattern which goes through its chart pattern. Don't decrease on every row or you will have a very tiny poncho!
It's very good-looking btw. Check out the finished projects on Ravelry if you haven't already. Some pictures clearly show the intermittent decrease rows. Good luck with it.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Kazaps
Casting On

Hi there,
Thanks for all your time and effort. I really appreciate it. Sadly thou (don't hate me) I'm still utterly confused. I thought if I typed up the first part of the pattern in full (this isn't the entire pattern - just the first bit), then maybe it would make a bit more sense when explained to be. So...

Cast on 218 st
Work in st st for 4 rows
Change needles, work as follows: 30 sts st-st, *25 sts cable, 29 sts st-st* rep from *to* ending with 25 sts cable, 1 st st-st (is this bit the actual pattern?)

(now it gets weird)
1st row will be: k30, *p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k29* rep *to* ending with p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k1. When work measures 14 rows total work k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.
Work 7 rows on the rem 210 sts (7 rows of what?)

Row 2:(rs) k1, *k2tog, k23, slip 1, k1, psso, 25cp,* rep from *to* ending with k1 (202 sts).
Work 7 rows on the rem 202 sts (7 rows of what?)

Row 3: (rs) k1, *k2tog, k21, slip1, k1, psso, 25 sts Cable patt* rep from *to* ending with k1.
Rep this dec row on every foll 8th row 10 times.
Work 4 rows on them rem 114 sts (4 rows of what?)

Next row:(rs) k2tog at beg of row, cont on rem sts. Leave the rem 113 ss on a st holder.

I'm sorry to bug you, but I can't seem to grasp your meaning. I think if I don't get it this time I'll throw the pattern out and give up.

Thanks
KAren
Kazaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
"work as follows: 30 sts st-st, *25 sts cable, 29 sts st-st* rep from *to* ending with 25 sts cable, 1 st st-st (is this bit the actual pattern?)"

Yes, your basic pattern is st st with cable panels.

It's written a little differently but it's not that weird. The 1st row is a set up row and the one after that and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rows should be called decrease rows, they're not pattern rows, just showing you where the decreases are.

So on the first one - k30, *p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k29* rep *to* ending with p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k1 - that sets up the pattern and the repeated stitches should correspond to the cable chart later on. So when you've worked 14 rows of the stockinette and cable pattern, you do the first dec row - k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1. Again that's stockinette with the cable pattern. You do another 7 rows of st st plus cable and the 2nd decrease row.

You can do it, you're just over thinking it. You begin with the basic stitch pattern - knit X sts, * knit 25 sts cable pattern, knit y sts and repeat, ending with knit X sts. Then on rows 15, 23, 31, and so on, every 8th row, you do decs in the plain stockinette sts, then cable, then another stockinette section with decs etc. The other 7 rows you just knit or purl the sts plain, following the cable pattern in its section.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
Cast on 218 st
Work in st st for 4 rows
Change needles, work as follows: 30 sts st-st, *25 sts cable, 29 sts st-st* rep from *to* ending with 25 sts cable, 1 st st-st
This is the actual pattern. Work this row.

1st row will be: k30, *p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k29* rep *to* ending with p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k1. When work measures 14 rows total work k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.
Work 7 rows on the rem 210 sts. The easiest way to look at these 7 rows is that if you see a loop, purl it; if you see a V stitch, knit it. The pattern just wants you to continue the sts as you have them on the needle without any increases or decreases. Think of this as the resting rows between the rigors of the decreases. All you have to do is read the sts on the needle.

Row 2:(rs) k1, *k2tog, k23, slip 1, k1, psso, 25cp,* rep from *to* ending with k1 (202 sts).
Work 7 rows on the rem 202 sts Same deal, knit the Vs, purl the loops, no decreases.

The only important thing to keep in mind while you're relaxing with the rows between the decrease rows is the cable pattern. Keep track of where the cables cross and follow that chart.
This is really a stunning pattern and I think it's very do-able for you. Sometimes however it helps to put the whole thing down for a day and come back to it with fresh eyes.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Kazaps
Casting On

Morning
Okay - I'm still not too sure what I actually 'work' on the 7 rows (and 4 rows - whether it's the actual cable pattern or something else) that follows a dec row, but I've made a start.
As I knit I'll write the pattern down so as I know how to read it more easily next time. I've had several requests to knit the puncho for friends and family so it'll be great if I actually remember what I'm doing.
Thanks for all your help and patience. I really appreciate it. Can I bug you again if I meet a hurdle?
Karen
Kazaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Work means knit or purl your stitch pattern, which is stockinette alternating with the cable pattern on all rows. Because of the decs you knit 2 less knit sts between the cable sections. So while the first row is - k30, * cable pattern, k 29 * rep from *to* ending with cable, k1 - after you do the decs the rows are k28, * cable pattern, k27, rep from * and end with cable, k1. The WS rows will be to purl all stitches. Work that for 7 rows then do another dec row, and after that the RS rows will be - k26, * cable, k25, repeat from * and end with cable, k1. Once you actually start knitting it, you'll see how it works out, just look at your sts, put a markers to set off the cable sts so you know where they beging and end and that may help you.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
LINDA1409
Casting On

Thank You!
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Work means knit or purl your stitch pattern, which is stockinette alternating with the cable pattern on all rows. Because of the decs you knit 2 less knit sts between the cable sections. So while the first row is - k30, * cable pattern, k 29 * rep from *to* ending with cable, k1 - after you do the decs the rows are k28, * cable pattern, k27, rep from * and end with cable, k1. The WS rows will be to purl all stitches. Work that for 7 rows then do another dec row, and after that the RS rows will be - k26, * cable, k25, repeat from * and end with cable, k1. Once you actually start knitting it, you'll see how it works out, just look at your sts, put a markers to set off the cable sts so you know where they beging and end and that may help you.
Thank you so much. I have been trying to decypher this pattern and tried knitting it twice to no avail. Coming back to knitting after 20 years i am a little rusty!! "WS rows will be to purl all stitches" was a lightbulb moment!!!! Thank you x
LINDA1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Uhhh, not to confuse you, but I might have been wrong about the WS. Usually in a cable pattern, the WS is done however the sts look - if the next one to be done looks like a knit, knit it, if it looks like a purl, purl it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
LINDA1409
Casting On

oh!!!
I hope its right. The pattern does say stockinette stitch and i thought that meant purl all wrong side in cable??? I dont know really im just trying to grasp any help I can from online. Thanks so much for replying. What do you think?
LINDA1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, it's been a while since I looked at this pattern, so you may well be right that it's all stockinette stitch. The cable sts would be, I was thinking of the sts between the cables; usually they're reverse stockinette so the cables show more.