Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Frogged! I give up!
I have given up on this project. Aligning the motif pattern stitch is IMPOSSIBLE for the size I chose. I frogged the Back down to the armhole bindoffs today, picked up my stitches, and tried to squeeze that (normally) 12-stitch motif repeat into the 7 or 8 available stitches so that there isn't a glaring BLANK AREA right next to Right the armhole edge. (Left armhole area is perfect, so one side is good, the other side is hideous) Sob!

Aaargh!

I'm over it.

I cast on for a white Silky Wool cardigan in my Queue: PINNATE CARDIGAN by Amy Cristoffers.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 06-07-2012 at 06:54 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Antares
Working the Gusset

GRRRR!! So sorry to hear about your frustration!!!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Bummer! It is such a great looking sweater! Ahh well, it obviously was not meant to be.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
Your right. Don't look back. They're like buses, there'll be another one along anytime now. That yarn was meant for better things.
OK. Pinnate Caridigan sounds good.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yes, it is an adorable sweater! But the pattern stitch for the upper body was a lost cause...ill-planned for all the sizes. I have other fish to fry...this one is tossed out in the trash!

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
This design has kicked my a$$ to Alaska and back! Oh my!

It's called Hey, Teach! Featured free at Knitty.

I've frogged the Back (lace pattern) so many times, I was about to scrap the entire project. Come to find out...the narrative in the pattern is vague with regards to the chart...how to work the chart's repeated red box. Fortunately, someone posted questions about the charted area of lacework...and someone else posted the answer! Voila. I'm back on track...

...but came up against another wall on Row 7 of the chart. Seems that the stitch markers have to shift 1 stitch over starting on Row 7. Found that out the hard way.

Onward...hopefully I'll sail along now. For crying out loud...according to Ravely 2,267 women have managed to knit this cardigan!

There is another error that someone found...a real error on the Left & Right Fronts...and I can see that some women who knit Hey, Teach! didn't spot the error (and the correction) in time.

Here is the correction:

On 7/28/08, Yoshimi commented:

“For left front, lace pattern, it states k2, knit in pattern, knit 6; this should read k6 knit in pattern k2
For right front, lace pattern, it states k6, knit in pattern, k2; this should read k2, knit in pattern, k6.”

I've found a lot of help for finding errata by reading the 'comments' for the project. Hey, Teach! has 24 comments, and a few of tem speak to the very issues I was confounded by.

Hello Artlady,

I have to add my 2-cents worth to this discussion. I knitted the Hey Teach in size xs, and the pattern is correct as written. If I can add a picture to your thread, it will show what I mean. Well, my picture was slightly too big to post, so I will just describe it. The st.st. portions of the fronts have to be on the button/buttonhole sides so that the lace will line up with the back on the shoulders. And also, so that the lace is continuous around the underarm area. I knitted the sweater again in size s, and it really came out well. The pattern was evidently written for just that one size, and then the designer tried to modify it for other sizes.

Betty
aprilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I'm glad I found this thread, I was thinking I might like to make it but y'all's feedback is great. Thanks!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by aprilbetty View Post
Hello Artlady,

I have to add my 2-cents worth to this discussion. I knitted the Hey Teach in size xs, and the pattern is correct as written..........The pattern was evidently written for just that one size, and then the designer tried to modify it for other sizes.
Exactly what I think, too. It's obvious it's a well written pattern because so many individuals have successfully knit it! You're right, the pattern didn't translate well over ALL THE SIZES. I fell into the size that throws off the charted area of the upper body, at least for the Back which is as far as I got. I frogged so many times, tweaking, futzing, re-aligning....to no good outcome.

I cut my losses there.

Plus I've read that the designer isn't available for questions, no website that contains corrections. I mean, why should she? The pattern is free. She has no monetary incentive to spend one more minute on her design. Pride-in-Product is one reason, but spending time on that doesn't pay her mortgage. And for all we know, she could be ill or deceased.

So this design pattern is what it is.

I'm over it.

Artlady at Rav