Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
PiccolaPesca
Casting On

Help! problems knitting with US15 needles
I'm new to knitting, and i've been teaching myself with books & internet. I've been practicing the project I'd like to complete with different sized needles. After my work became consistent using US10, i decided to try practicing with the actual size needle the project calls for, US15. Not doing so hot!
The more stitches I transfer over to the right needle, the longer the string of yarn between the needles gets! Also the work on the right needle seems to be spiraling around the needle. I've been trying my best to keep the tension the same. But still I keep having the same problems.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any tips for using this size needle? Any help is appreciated!
PiccolaPesca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It may be the cast on you use, and sometimes sts will twist around the needle. After you have a couple rows done it shouldn't be a problem, the knitting will have some length and they'll stay straight. If get the loops between stitches on the first row, you're using a backward loop CO and that's what it does. Try a cable cast on or even long tail and that should help. A knit CO is easy, but with a larger number of sts they'll twist around the needle easily too; the cable CO will too, but there's a little more 'heft' to it, so might not be as bad.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Needles that large are awkward to knit with at least at first IMO. I'd suggest about a size 9 or 10.

It sounds like you're doing a backward loop. That's not a good one to cast on a lot of stitches. My preferred cast on is long tail, but the knitted cast on is a good one for beginners.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
that was happening to me as well when I first started. I was shown a European style knit that after casting on I would insert the needle into the back instead of the front. This worked wonderful. When I realized this was different than the knit stitch in the videos, I switched to the English style and then the problems began. The cast on method I was using was great for European style but wasn't for English or Continental.
I learned how to do the long tail cast on and it worked wonderfully after that. No more big gabs or weird wrapping around the needle. I also had to work on hand placement and once I watched the videos on this site I began to improve. The host explains quite in detail how to hold the yarn. After that it just takes practice. I just kept up with a very simple slipper pattern. Even with mistakes the slippers turned out. I just used cheap acrylic yarn but now I am knitting with wool and silk. Don't give up. I wanted to throw in the towel and now after 2 months I am so glad I didn't.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

I've never seen a 'european' cast on or heard of that style exactly. Many europeans use continental, some will use russian or 'eastern' knitting where you always work the sts through the back loop. You can always adapt techniques to knit it your preferred style.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

I just assumed because the knit stitch I was shown was European that that was what the cast on method was called. I see from the videos and from information that is provided in the forum that it is called the single loop cast on. It seemed to work wonderful with the European stitch. I had great results. I just could not get it right after switching to Continental and English style.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well, I use it with english knitting, and find I have to knit into the front leg or it'll just fall off the needle. Did you use the R or L thumb to cast on with? I use the left one, just like Long tail; the leading leg is closest to the tip that way but it's in back, so it looks like you have to knit into the back of it, but then it just falls off. I tried it usng the right thumb and you still have to knit into the front leg, even more so.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

I used my right thumb. I will try it tomorrow to confirm what I did. I thought I inserted the right needle into he back of the loop after the cast on. It seemed to hold great. But once I learned that I would have to alter patterns to continue doing this I decided to learn the English and Continental Style instead as I would not know when and where to alter the patterns as I am a new knitter. Can I use this method to knit one row and then start the pattern? It begins with and inch of ribbing.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

You don't have to change patterns at all and don't have to continue knitting through the back loop. That's a factor of how you wrap the yarn. If you wrap it the standard way for english or continental, you knit into the front leg and it doesn't matter how you knit into the CO on the first row.