Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

Question about Needle Sizes
Hello,

I have a knitting pattern that calls for US #2, 12" circular needles. However, I have every size except for 12s. What will happen to this if I use my 16" needles???

Thank you.
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
The 16" is really only good for the bottom of hat. You will probably have to choose another method of knitting in the round - DPN, Magic Loop, or two circular needles the same diameter. Check the video section for help if you don't know how.

I will say here that many people do not like 12" circulars. They are much harder to knit with because the needles are very short because of the short cable. My preferred method is Magic Loop, but I've also used the other methods. the length of the cable for ML depends on what you're making, but I like a 40" for most things.

What are you making. Knowing that helps.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
deann (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
deann
Knitting the Flap

Needles
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
The 16" is really only good for the bottom of hat. You will probably have to choose another method of knitting in the round - DPN, Magic Loop, or two circular needles the same diameter. Check the video section for help if you don't know how.

I will say here that many people do not like 12" circulars. They are much harder to knit with because the needles are very short because of the short cable. My preferred method is Magic Loop, but I've also used the other methods. the length of the cable for ML depends on what you're making, but I like a 40" for most things.

What are you making. Knowing that helps.
Thank you much for the information. I thought the "magic loop" was only for casting on. If I don't have the 12 inch circulars, then I am asking if a larger size will be okay.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
deann
Knitting the Flap

needles
Hello,thought I mentioned it was for a skull cap, but maybe I forgot to.

I also found a you tube video on the magic loop method. However can I follow that method even if the pattern only calls for in the round and not magic loop?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
deann
Knitting the Flap

circular
Hello okay I think I understand. When talking about the magic loop method, that just means working on a circular needle with the cord right? as opposed to DPNs
Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
deann
Knitting the Flap

skull cap link
Hello, I meant to include this

http://www.chemknits.com/2011/10/gen...g-pattern.html

this is for the skull cap. This is where I get confused. It says to cast on size 6 needles, then says to "join" in the round. How can I translate that onto the loop circular needles?"??
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
All the methods I told you about are for knitting in the round. Magic Loop method , two circs and DPN will wll knit in the round.
If you already have stitches on the needles you can just start knittting with the new needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
deann (06-09-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,507 Times in 3,181 Posts
This may be a video you've seen for magic loop, but about halfway through the video she demonstrates how to join in the round. It's at the point where the actual knitting begins. Many patterns don't specify how to knit in the round. You can choose whether you use dpns or circular needles or magic loop. Even when the pattern does specify a method, most times you can switch to your preferred method.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, using dpns, or a long needle with magic loop is only a method for knitting in the round, you can use whatever you prefer. ML is not just to get started, you can use it for a whole project.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Sure, you can use longer sizes. I like to use the traveling loop for the ribbing and body of the hat. I then switch to magic loop for the decreases at the top of the hat. Another thing I want to mention is watch where your working yarn is when you are using either circulars in magic loop or double points. Your working yarn should be between the front and back needles (or coming from the inside of the tube) when switching from one needle to another. If you have your working yarn BEHIND both needles, you'll end up with an unwanted yarn over at the end of your round. It took me a while to figure it out. The magic loop tutorials never explain that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd0BkKC8tU&feature=plcp
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote