Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
PrincessMRC
Casting On

magic loop is SO much easier!! I have a 12" circular and it HURTS to knit with it!!!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/PrincessMRC
PrincessMRC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
You CAN use a 16" circular for this hat, but you'll have to change to another method when you get to the decreases. The reason is because you get less and less stitches as you decrease and they will be too stretched out on the 16" cable and become impossible to do. This is why DPN, 2 circs or magic loop work well because you can knit the whole hat start to finish on one set of needles w/o changing methods.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
deann (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
deann
Knitting the Flap

thank you
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
This may be a video you've seen for magic loop, but about halfway through the video she demonstrates how to join in the round. It's at the point where the actual knitting begins. Many patterns don't specify how to knit in the round. You can choose whether you use dpns or circular needles or magic loop. Even when the pattern does specify a method, most times you can switch to your preferred method.
I would agree, I don't care for 12 inch. I have asked folks about their opinions on here and got the general consensus that 24, or nothing less than 40 even is good.

So, I will watch the magic loop video. Thank you so much. Hopefully the loop will help.
deann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #14
deann
Knitting the Flap

MAGIC LOOP ON DPNS?
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
This may be a video you've seen for magic loop, but about halfway through the video she demonstrates how to join in the round. It's at the point where the actual knitting begins. Many patterns don't specify how to knit in the round. You can choose whether you use dpns or circular needles or magic loop. Even when the pattern does specify a method, most times you can switch to your preferred method.
Hi, I just watched the video you provided for the magic loop, but she is working on circular needles with splitting them in half, etc. Someone told me that I can use the magic loop method with DPNs. If so, then how do you split the stitches?? Is there a video I can watch?? Thanks so much.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
deann
Knitting the Flap

GREAT VIDEO
Originally Posted by deann View Post
Hi, I just watched the video you provided for the magic loop, but she is working on circular needles with splitting them in half, etc. Someone told me that I can use the magic loop method with DPNs. If so, then how do you split the stitches?? Is there a video I can watch?? Thanks so much.
Okay, I just found this video, it explains the DPNs vs ML vs circs.

It's great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINfsp5DfR0
Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by PrincessMRC View Post
magic loop is SO much easier!! I have a 12" circular and it HURTS to knit with it!!!
LOL it hurts!!!

Do you knit with the loop even if the pattern doesn't call for it??
I am trying to figure out how to do that!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
If the pattern calls for knitting in the round or you just want to knit the item in the round, magic loop is one way of doing it. There are several ways to knit in the round: on a circular needle, dpns, single loop, magic loop, two circulars etc. The method you use to knit in the round is your choice.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Sometimes the loops stay pretty much in the same place and sometimes they move. It kind of depends on how long your cable is and the project. Just try magic loop and you'll see how it works. It takes a bit of practice, but once you learn it it's great to use for any circular project.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
deann
Knitting the Flap

GREAT VIDEO
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Sure, you can use longer sizes. I like to use the traveling loop for the ribbing and body of the hat. I then switch to magic loop for the decreases at the top of the hat. Another thing I want to mention is watch where your working yarn is when you are using either circulars in magic loop or double points. Your working yarn should be between the front and back needles (or coming from the inside of the tube) when switching from one needle to another. If you have your working yarn BEHIND both needles, you'll end up with an unwanted yarn over at the end of your round. It took me a while to figure it out. The magic loop tutorials never explain that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd0BkKC8tU&feature=plcp
You are so right. The videos are general. My main question was if a pattern calls for 5mm on 14 inch, can I use 5mm on 24 inch cable. Wont I just have more empty space? Thanks so much for your help. Thank you for the video!!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
deann
Knitting the Flap

PS
Originally Posted by deann View Post
You are so right. The videos are general. My main question was if a pattern calls for 5mm on 14 inch, can I use 5mm on 24 inch cable. Wont I just have more empty space? Thanks so much for your help. Thank you for the video!!!!
Okay the video was awesome. So now when it refers to the "back" needle, that would be the one closest to me? Thanks.