Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Beadboard backsplash anyone?
After 13 very long weeks my new countertops have finally been installed ! I bit the bullet and did granite with an undermount sink which is a HUGE improvement over my 15yr old white laminate ones. I am leaning toward a beadboard backsplash, but my cabinets are 22" up from the countertop and the hubby only wants the backsplash to be 12". Will it look funny to end the backsplash then have wall, then have cabinet? All the pics I find on-line the cabinets are lower than mine....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

I've seen what you have described, and it looked fine to me. However, I would try putting up something temporary that looks like a back splash and then looking at it for a few days to see if you like it or not. Maybe a sample of beadboard or 12 x 12 tiles to get an idea.

Plus, remember: it's your house, so you get to make it look like you want (regardless of what the rest of the world does or thinks).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
cindylou
Ribbing the Cuff

I myself think it would look great, but I agree with Antares to maybe get a sample, put it up and live with it for awhile....actually try it both ways and then you will get an idea. BTW, I'm jealous, I so want to do my kitchen over....
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cindylou For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I'm not sure..I think I'd get a piece of it and see how it looks beforehand, too.

Something else to consider- bead board can be hard to clean in the cracks and behind a stove might be a problem.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I totally agree with Jan. I have bead board and the cracks do collect grime, crumbs, you name it. I would much prefer some sort of tile. I have to say, in our kitchen anyway, it does look good, as there is bead board on a bit more than half the wall from the floor - but the cleaning issue is a drawback. Good luck, and I envy your kitchen makeover. Make it yours, one way or the other.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you for all your input, hadn't really thought of the cleaning issues. I will most likely accept the cleaning b/c I just can't find tile I like. My hubby stopped and got a small piece of beadboard tonight so that we can mock it up and see if I like it and at what height. My fear is that I don't want the kitchen to look too country and dated by going counter to cabinet b/c the kitchen is open to the main living space of the house.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote