Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

JOINING A ROW??
Hello,
I have a pattern (link below) that calls for cast on then says "join the row".

I am going to attempt this for the first time on circular needles. When it says join the row, are they assuming you have DPs? Dont I just keep knitting around and around?

In other words, on circulars, the row is already joined right?

Thanks for any help!!

http://monasthings.blogspot.com/2011...ve-beanie.html
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
deann
Knitting the Flap

ADDENDUM
Okay addendum to my post.
I found the video on here that shows magic loop method. I have been hearing several people say they prefer that method. But it sure looks more complicated to me.

Would you suggest that for my first knitting project on circulars, I should do it the regular way???
deann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Each method has its own little things you need to learn before they become comfortable. One is not better than another really. Any method including using a 16" circ could be used, but with that you'd need to change to another method anyway to do the top part.

ML is not hard. Just go slowly till you become familiar with it. Look at the video and if you think you'll need more here's another link that might help, too.
http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/K...__L100110.html
http://community.knitpicks.com/profi...ial-magic-loop

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Gray
Casting On

Go for the magic loop. Just make sure the first row of stitches are not twisted. A really advanced knitter once gave me a trick for knitting in the round. Cast on one extra stitch, knit the first slip the first stitch and the last stitch over to the left needle and knit them together place your marker for the start on the row follow pattern from their. this prevent that little gap in joining the row and you'll never see the extra stitch
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gray For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Good tip. This one also hides the join.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajp0QUWYkk
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Joining means you have to knit the sts so they form a circle - just using circs or dpns doesn't automatically mean you knit in the round, they're still a straight needle. You can also use circulars to knit large flat things like a blanket with. If your sts don't fit across the needle from one end to another, you would have to use the Magic loop to knit with. An easier way is with single loop. With your sts on the needle, pull the cord out between sts about halfway along them (doesn't have to be exactly halfway, can even be 2/3). Then push the sts toward the ends so you can join them. Put a marker on the right needle and with the working yarn in your right hand, knit the stitch on the left needle and now they're joined together. Then you can keep knitting around and around. When you get to the loop of cord you pulled out before, pull out another loop on the other side and push the sts on the left up to the tip and continue.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

*Any method including using a 16" circ could be used, but with that you'd need to change to another method anyway to do the top part.*

I don't agree with that statement. In knitting hats, for instance, I use single loop and switch to magic loop for the decreases at the top. I can get down to one or two stitches with my circulars. I use only circulars for these type of things. I don't switch to double points.

The "proper" way, according to the experts, is to knit the hat with circulars then switch to Dps at the top. Who are these experts that tell you that? Usually LYS owners who charge for lessons and materials, or you may find it written in a pattern from a yarn company. They want you to buy from from them. The more needles (including the double points for the hat decreases) they can sell you, the more profit for them. That's my opinion.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
*Any method including using a 16" circ could be used, but with that you'd need to change to another method anyway to do the top part.*

I don't agree with that statement. In knitting hats, for instance, I use single loop and switch to magic loop for the decreases at the top. I can get down to one or two stitches with my circulars. I use only circulars for these type of things. I don't switch to double points.
Not sure why you disagree. If she's using 16" circs she WILL need to switch to another method not DPN. If she's using a larger circ and going from single loop to magic loop that's fine if you like to do it that way. It's not my choice though because it's less comfortable so I suggested ML, 2 circs or DPN.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote