Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
suziekate
Ribbing the Cuff

Tension/Gauge Squares
Hello,
I'm about to start a cabled hot water bottle cover, and for the tension square it says to knit the square 'over pattern', does this mean the cabling pattern?

Also, any tips on finding patterns online for specific yarns I already have? I'm having a bit of trouble as I have a lot of yarn but only about 1 ball of each type and I'm finding it a bit tricky to find a pattern suited for my yarn with only one ball! Is there any site where I could enter in my type of yarn and how much I have and they would have a pattern for it?

Thanks! :D
suziekate is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes it means the stitch pattern as cables pull in more and you won't get the same number of sts per inch in stockinette as the cable.

For the grandmother of all sites, join Ravelry. On the advanced search for patterns you can enter the yardage and either the weight or needle size you want to use and generally there's several patterns that come up. Not all the patterns are at the site, but some may be free on blogs and other sites, or in a book or magazine available through your library and it will show that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
suziekate (06-22-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
suziekate
Ribbing the Cuff

Hmm okay thank you, I'm a little confused about to adapt the cabling pattern for a 10 x 10 square then in that case?

Ah okay! I'm on ravelry already! Joined only a couple of days ago so hadn't found out how to do that, thank you!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
You don't need to knit a 10 x 10 cm square. You want to measure the number of sts you get over about 10cm and in your particular case, over several cables. Cast on enough sts so that you have at least 10cm and more is beter. That way you can measure over the middle of the swatch and avoid including the edge sts in your measurement. They are not as wide as other sts and would throw off your gauge if included.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
suziekate (06-22-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

You should really make the sample bigger than that, about 15cm. The reason is the edge sts curl under and shouldn't be included in measuring. The aim is not to make a 10cm square, but to find out how many sts are in 10cm. So if your cable pattern is 24 sts, cast on about 30 and use 3 for edge sts on each end of the row. Work it for about 8-10cm then cast off and measure how many sts are across 10cm. It can also help to wash the sample the same way you will the finished item as different yarns will relax or shrink up when wet. You don't have to cut your yarn if you wash by hand, but might if it's acrylic and you use the washer and dryer.

suziekate (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
suziekate
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, thank you very much, I'll have a go.

Also, with tension for knitting in the round, I'm a bit confused by how you test it? I'm trying to learn knitting in the round at the moment...

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, it's suggested if you're going to knit in the round to do the swatch that way too because often the purl row is looser or tighter than the knit row. You can 'fake' it by casting on your sts, work the first row, then slide the sts back to the beginning of the needle and work the next row. Leave the yarn very loose across the back and you definitely would want a larger one as the edge sts will curl even more with this method. But you can easily measure flat across 10 cm this way.

suziekate (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
This video shows you just what Sue is describing.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
suziekate (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
suziekate
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you, thats really helpful!

Having watched the video though, obviously it talks about starting a hat/sleeve/top down sweater in order to work out if you gauge is correct, how would you actually work this out? by measuring circumference as you go along knitting?

thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

For a small item like a hat, socks or sleeve in the round, just cast on with the sts and needle suggested in the pattern and work about 3" or so, then flatten it out and measure across 2 or 3" in a couple different places. That takes about the same time as making a swatch and if you're okay, you can keep going; if not, it's not a lot to rip out. You just need to determine how many sts per inch you have, but just knitting a couple of inches wide isn't enough to get an accurate measure, so a larger one is better. Many people do their swatch for a sweater by starting with the sleeve and measuring several inches in.

suziekate (06-24-2012)