Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
What fun socks! People are going to start booking the cruise that you're on just to see the latest from the "knitting lady". Maybe take a break from socks and finish those lace sleeves. It would be fun to see the finished project and it will give you a fresh eye for DH's socks.
I usually have 2-3 projects of different kinds going at the same time, but for some reason I just want to get the darn socks done. I actually love knitting socks and am taking yarn to knit 4 more pair between now and Christmas on the cruise with me. I guess maybe it is because I had a ton of problems getting the size right for these and my husband's. She has large feet (as do I so I could try them on to see about the fit) and I had never made men's socks. They kept being too big even though the gauge wasn't off. I knitted this sock 6 times!!! I then discovered all my other socks were size 1 needle so changed to that did a gauge, knit it up and it fit perfectly as did my husband's when I knit the first one.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
Originally Posted by nonny2t View Post
Honey, socks are not necessarily cheap, frankly. I bought yarn for my husband's cruise socks and the total made the socks around $30 a pair!!! lolol
I think you may have misunderstood me, socks to buy are very cheap. I know that sock yarn gets expensive
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Christinechrstms1 View Post
I think you may have misunderstood me, socks to buy are very cheap. I know that sock yarn gets expensive
I gotcha! lololol Very true, but then when you think about it, anything we knit could be bought cheaper I think. The cool thing about knit socks are they are made to fit the person's foot exactly not a variety of sizes. Sorry I misunderstood you!
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
Christinechrstms1 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
dturner
Turning the Heel

What fun colors! She'll love them.
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
nonny2t (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
Originally Posted by nonny2t View Post
I gotcha! lololol Very true, but then when you think about it, anything we knit could be bought cheaper I think. The cool thing about knit socks are they are made to fit the person's foot exactly not a variety of sizes. Sorry I misunderstood you!
My oldest daughter loves coloured socks and something like hand knitted from me would make her guard and cherish them so I am considering venturing into this territory for that reason and to see why knitting them seems to be a favorite choice among some knitters. I can always start it as a secondary project as I imagine it would be even more portable than a sweater project.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Christinechrstms1 View Post
My oldest daughter loves coloured socks and something like hand knitted from me would make her guard and cherish them so I am considering venturing into this territory for that reason and to see why knitting them seems to be a favorite choice among some knitters. I can always start it as a secondary project as I imagine it would be even more portable than a sweater project.
Socks are incredibly portable. My daughter begged me for years to learn to knit socks and knit her socks. I imagine she has about 6-8 pair by now, the grandsons age 5 and 12 (cousins not brothers) get matching socks for Christmas each year, my best friend gets a pair for her birthday and this year my dil and son get their first pair. I found the greatest colored yarn called hayride so I decided the grandsons and my son are all getting socks the same this year! These are the first socks I have knit for my hubby and he tried the first one and and loved it so I imagine I will be knitting him more. Do you know though, I have one and only 1 pair of socks I knitted for myself! That pair was the very first pair I ever knit because I thought if I screwed them up at least they were for me, but they came out fine! lol
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Lively socks! I hope you get all your planned projects done in time for the cruise. Have a wonderful time.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Very nice! Very colorful! Great work!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
nonny2t (06-27-2012)