Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Does anyone have Knitters/ tennis elbow?
I'm really depressed I am self diagnosed because I went to the Dr twice and no one had a clue of what I had. But after doing research it is so obviously tennis elbow. On the phone the Dr agreed with me and said to take it easy and if bothers me come back in. I have been unable to knit...are you ready...since mid July! Yes it is getting a bit better but not completely. Has anyone been through this before? What did you do?

Thanks in advance
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
is that what that is? LOL You know, my elbow has been bothering me and I never thought about it being from knitting. I haven't done anything about it ... yet. I do get massages and that helps - and I take glucosamine and condroitin - have for a long time.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I posted about this last year, not sure if it would help you, but apparently it's designed for people with painful joints
Knitting Aid
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

I haven't but my best friend has.

She got a cortisone shot and that worked. Only thing is if she knits too long it will start up again.

I don't know if it matters, but she is an extremely tight knitter. I knit on the loose side and never have issues even though I have spent up to 8 hours knitting in a day.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks all for your input.

I use circular needles so I'm not sure how the knitting aid would work. Hmmm I could just try resting my arm on a pillow.

And yes I knit tightly. But I do not knit for extended periods of time. I think because I am right handed and it is my right arm it is difficult for it to heal.

At first I couldn't even pick up a cup of coffee, or use the computer mouse or keyboard without its hurting really badly. Now it aches but it is not excruciating when I do those things. But I've had to alter grocery shopping, cooking, laundry etc.

I'm sort of bummed because I had some holiday gifts I had been planning on making.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I get all kinds of aches and pains in my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders if I knit for too long (or wash windows, scrub floors, paint walls....any repetitive movements will do it),

I stopped knitting for a long while because of it....but then lost a lot of joy. SO! what I do now:

knit for shorter spells, taking breaks.
Rub arnica oil on the aching parts of my body
Take SAMe for joint improvement ( can't do glucosamine, hurts my stomach)
Relax when knitting, take lots of deep breaths and appreciate how much I love knitting.
Drink more water (to clean out the system - most people don't drink enough water). I believe it helps the joints too.
Take yoga classes all year except summertime.
Learn different ways to knit. I can now do both English and continental style, so I vary the way I knit.
In English style, I usually carry the yarn over my right finger and knit quite quickly, but if sore, I can also knit the way children are taught, with large movements for each stitch.

Good luck!....and keep smiling through the pain. But I won't give up knitting.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
margz3
Working the Gusset

Yup - came upon me this spring! I totally know what you mean; can't tell you how many cups-o-joe I almost dropped!

I didn't stop knitting, but had to remind myself to stop and stretch out my arm fairly frequently or it was totally useless! Funny thing is that I realized just the other day that it was much better! It kinda just slowly "healed" on it's own. It is still slightly sore/stiff if I keep it bent for long periods of time, but nothing that I can't deal with.

Basically with tennis elbow I've been told it just gets better with time......patience - ugh!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for all your advice and responses. I bought one of those pressure velcro wraps that you put below your elbow. Sadly it makes it feel worst. I also bought a cold or warm sleeve. I think I'll give that a try today.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you talked to your doctor about anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen) or physical therapy? I know some people have also had better luck switching to continental knitting because it relieves some of the strain on the right hand. My heart goes out to you, not knitting stinks!!!

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

thanks farmgirl. I'm one of those people that ibuprofen actually causes inflammation :(. The next step may be physical therapy. We'll see. Yes, not knitting stinks :(