Old 06-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
supercaity1284
Casting On

Looking for a cool afghan beginner pattern
My husband has been itching for an afghan blanket ever since I picked up knitting needles (a week ago - hence the "beginner" part of the subject).

So where should I start? What's the best yarn to get? Size needles? How many skeins is good? Should I just do a stockinette stitch or something different? I want to finish the dang ribbed scarf I'm doing first (that I have queries for on the help forum) but when that's done, I'll work on the afghan and then go on to bigger, badder projects. Afghan seems doable for a beginner, right? God I hope it's doable for a beginner - wouldn't want the husband to freeze!
supercaity1284 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think of you started a stockinette stitch afghan, something else would freeze over before you finished. If you didn't die of boredom first!

An afghan made with different squares is a perfect opportunity to try out new stitches and end up with something fun and unique. A big advantage is that it's so much more portable, too. Having a big afghan in your lap all through the summer would be uncomfortable to say the least.

Google stitch patterns or find a stitch pattern book for a look at what's out there.

www.knittingpatterncentral.com is a good source as is www.ravelry.com

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Lion Brand also has a collection of stitch patterns (which you'll also see listed in Pattern Central). Additionally, you can look for pattern ideas in any project worked flat. Just be sure to look for patterns that give you a multiple of stitches (such as "a multiple of 8 + 2"). That way you can tailor the pattern dimensions to your size square.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
supercaity1284
Casting On

Gracias! Going to JoAnn's in Tulsa today to go crazy
supercaity1284 is offline   Reply With Quote