Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
MrsGreyone
Casting On

Bootiee Help
hi all,
I am a novice knitter, and knitting a pair of bootees, so far so good, but now i have come accross a stumbleing block and not sure how to interpret the pattern.
i am kniting on two needles, not round and below is the divide for foot bit.

K21 TURN
P10 TURN
WORK 12 ROWS IN ST ST
BREAK OF YARN

WITH RS FACING REJOIN YARN TO INSTEP END OF FIRST 11 STS. PICK UP AND KNIT 12 STS EVENLY ALONG SIDE EDGE 10 STS ACROSS THE TOP, 12 STS EVENLY ALONG SIDE EDGE AND KNIT ACROSS REMAINING 11 STS 56 STS.

i have done up to the break off yarn bit but am not sure what it means by rejoining to the instep - where is the instep part of the bootee?
i am assuming where it says 'pick up and knit' it is refering to where you sort of pick up and make stitches like you do in a neckline of a jumper, but as i say, where is the instep? Once i get onto that, i will probably work out the rest.

hope this is clear enough and someone can help.
MrsGreyone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
This tutorial shows the instep (it's on a sock but the same is true for booties) which is the part that covers the top of the foot.
Yes, picking up sts here is like picking up sts for the collar of a sweater. There's a video for it on the Tips page under Free Videos at the top of this page if you need it.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
MrsGreyone
Casting On

thank you, i see what they mean now by the instep.

next question (or two actually) firstly, where it says

K21 TURN
P10 TURN
WORK 12 ROWS IN ST ST
BREAK OF YARN

the 12 rows i work in st st, are they on the whole lot across the length of the needle or should they be on just the 10 rows i did in purl? The pattern dosnt specify, but looking at the picture of the bootee, i think it might be what it means. this would then give me a T shape...?

second question which might actually answer itself when i know the answer to the first, is where on my knitting is the instep? i assume if i had the T shape, it would be more obvious, but want to check....
thanks for your help
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Yes, knit the 12 rows on just the 10sts you purled. Thats making the instep (the vertical bar of the T shape).
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
MrsGreyone
Casting On

That worked!
Thank you very much for your help, it makes so much more sense when someone tells you the right way...

thanks again