Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

Question about knitting on circular needles
Hello,

I am knitting a regular patter that does NOT call for knitting in the round. But am using circs, but one question: how do I determing wrong side and right side, like how do I know what is purled, etc.

Thank you.
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you knit one row and purl a row, you can look at the sts on the needles when you start a new row. If they all have bumps those are purls and the wrong side, if they look like Vs around the needle, they're knits and it's the right side. Take a look at the videos and pictures in this thread to help you identify the sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
That is stockinette. One of the most important things you can learn is what the stitches look like. You'll use it all the time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That is stockinette. One of the most important things you can learn is what the stitches look like. You'll use it all the time.
I know all about stockinette. So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by deann View Post
I know all about stockinette. So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??
If you just do that occasionally in a pattern it might create a design or even seed or moss stitch depending on how you do it. Is that what you mean?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If you're using circular needles in the round with the ends joined into a circle, you'll just knit all around on every row. That automatically makes stockinette and you don't have to turn it or purl. It sounds like you're using a circular needle like you would regular ones and knitting back and forth. Then you'll knit the right side rows and purl the wrong side row. Your knit stitch will look like little V's. Your purl stitches will look like the neck on a turtle neck sweater. That's how you tell them apart. Knitting is generally done on the right side rows and purling on the wrong side rows. It's easy to figure out whether you're on a right or a wrong side row. If you're following a pattern, your odd numbered rows will be your right side rows and your even numbered rows will be your wrong side rows. Most of the time, unless you have a special cast on, your tail will be on the right when you're on a right side (knit) row and the tail will be on the left if you're on a wrong (or purl) side row. Hope this helps you.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
deann (07-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??
It depends on how many sts you do. If it's across a whole row it could be garter stitch, for individual sts on one row it'll be seed/moss stitch. The Tips page has videos on basic stitch patterns - stockinette, rib, seed and garter.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
If you just do that occasionally in a pattern it might create a design or even seed or moss stitch depending on how you do it. Is that what you mean?
Yes thank you!!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
If you're using circular needles in the round with the ends joined into a circle, you'll just knit all around on every row. That automatically makes stockinette and you don't have to turn it or purl. It sounds like you're using a circular needle like you would regular ones and knitting back and forth. Then you'll knit the right side rows and purl the wrong side row. Your knit stitch will look like little V's. Your purl stitches will look like the neck on a turtle neck sweater. That's how you tell them apart. Knitting is generally done on the right side rows and purling on the wrong side rows. It's easy to figure out whether you're on a right or a wrong side row. If you're following a pattern, your odd numbered rows will be your right side rows and your even numbered rows will be your wrong side rows. Most of the time, unless you have a special cast on, your tail will be on the right when you're on a right side (knit) row and the tail will be on the left if you're on a wrong (or purl) side row. Hope this helps you.
YES!!! That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks so much.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Many people, including myself, use circular needles for everything. I use them for knitting socks in the round and for knitting back and forth like making a blanket. I like them because they are lightweight and don't put a strain on my hands and arms. They are shorter so they won't poke people sitting next to you when you're knitting. They're also attached so you're not digging a needle out of the sofa cushions.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote