Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

Another Socks/footies Question
Okay, I have this pattern, see link below. When it says to "shape toe" does that mean that I have to bind off what I have done and start over with the toe pattern, or I continue where I left off with the regular pattern??

Also, it doesn't state whether we use circular or straight needles (that I can tell) so any help on that would be appreciated also.

Thanks much.

http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/kni...g/footies.html
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
'Shape Toe' is just a title for the following instructions for shaping it. Usually it's just decreases, but on this pattern it looks like you 'shape' it by doing ribbing, then you finish off the sts by running the tail yarn thrugh the live sts like a drawstring.

It sais to use a 'pair' of needles, which are straights, but you can use circulars and knit flat. Another clue is in the Finishing instructions which say to seam the edges.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
deann (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
'Shape Toe' is just a title for the following instructions for shaping it. Usually it's just decreases, but on this pattern it looks like you 'shape' it by doing ribbing, then you finish off the sts by running the tail yarn thrugh the live sts like a drawstring.

It sais to use a 'pair' of needles, which are straights, but you can use circulars and knit flat. Another clue is in the Finishing instructions which say to seam the edges.
WOW!! Thanks so much for the pattern tips!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I don't like knitting or crocheting anything that doesn't have a picture. Esther's website has been around for a long time. I'm sure these are fine patterns. But according to the announcement on top of her home page:

This site was voted the
8th most boring website in the U.K.!
so...
This website is best viewed with a cup of coffee.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sounds like something the site owner put up for a chuckle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Okay, taking a closer look at this pattern. This slipper pattern has been around for a long time, at least the 1940's from what I'm reading. I remember doing these for the 4H Club project in the early 1960's. Here's a website with the exact same pattern with pictures that will better explain how to do it. This is an oldie but a goodie pattern. It's great for quick Christmas gifts.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html

Edit: Looking at this pattern, though, they adapted it by adding the toe decreases. I wouldn't decrease, just keep doing the ribbing straight, run the stitches through with a yarn and tapestry needle, draw it up, and sew up the toe seam. They're putting more work into this classic than needs be done for a beginner.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
deann (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Okay, taking a closer look at this pattern. This slipper pattern has been around for a long time, at least the 1940's from what I'm reading. I remember doing these for the 4H Club project in the early 1960's. Here's a website with the exact same pattern with pictures that will better explain how to do it. This is an oldie but a goodie pattern. It's great for quick Christmas gifts.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html

Edit: Looking at this pattern, though, they adapted it by adding the toe decreases. I wouldn't decrease, just keep doing the ribbing straight, run the stitches through with a yarn and tapestry needle, draw it up, and sew up the toe seam. They're putting more work into this classic than needs be done for a beginner.
THIS IS WONDERFUL, THANK YOU MUCH!!!