Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Help with slipping stitches
I am working on a scarf/cowl pattern and need some help understanding how to slip stitches. I do understand HOW to slip a stitch; however, I am confused on when to slip a stitch knitwise and when to slip a stitch purlwise.
I have a general knitting techniques book that says to always slip a stitch as if to purl, unless specifically instructed otherwise in a pattern so as not to twist the stitches when worked on the next row.
The pattern I am using does not specify one way or the other. Here are the two rows in the pattern that require me to slip stitches:

Row 2: *k1, p1, k1, yo, k1, sl1, p2,pass slipped stitch over the p2*repeat
until only 2 stitches remain; k1, p1.

Row 4: *k1, p1, sl1, k2, pass slipped
stitch over the k2, p1, yo, p1* repeat
until only 2 stitches remain; k1, p1.

If I am thinking correctly, on row 2, I would slip the stitch as if to purl since the next two stitches are purl stitches. Then on row 4, I am thinking that I would slip the stitch as if to knit since the next two stitches are knit stitches.

Can anyone please help me understand if I am thinking this through correctly or if I should always slip as if to purl (unless otherwise instructed) as my knitting guide tells me? Thank you in advance for any help!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've always slipped knitwise when working a psso. I believe it's to keep the stitch tighter.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
CraftyCricketNC (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The general rule is to slip purlwise when you won't be working with the stitch at all on the same row, and knitwise if you do. Since you do move a slip st when working decs, these are slipped knitwise. It doesn't matter if it's a knit or purl row or what the sts before and after the slip stitch is.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Ok, I see. In that case, I had better get some more clarification about the psso before I continue with this pattern.

On Row 2, when I psso (after the two purl stitches), my next stitch is a knit stitch. Do I keep the working yarn in front (as if to purl) when I pull the slipped stitch over the two purl stitches, and then move the working yarn to the back to make my next knit stitch? Or, do I go ahead and move the working yarn to the back of my work, then pass the slipped stitch over the two purl stitches, then continue with my knit stitch?

Same thing with Row 4: Do I keep the working yarn in back, complete the psso, then move working yarn to the front to make the next purl stitch?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
You know, it really won't matter. You can move the yarn and slip or slip the sts and then move the yarn and it'll all turn out the same.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Thanks to all three of you for your help! I have been very excited about starting this pattern for quite some time but had a few obstacles in my way:

1. I needed all of my circular wire as this is a very large project and one of them was being used by a smaller project.
2. My Needlemaster kit came with 4 lengths of cable to theoretically make a number of different lengths, but only came with ONE coupler, so I wasn't able to connect all 4 until I ordered more couplers online.
3. The two "stitch" issues above addressed by some awesome knitters on this forum!

Now, it's time to get started! I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think if you just keep the yarn where it was for the stitch before the slipped one it should come out alright.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
craff1
Ribbing the Cuff

More questions on these rows please?
Can I get in on this one? My questions are the same. Thank you for answering the "slip knitwise" part. My question also has to do with the slipping, but my question is about moving the yarn to the front or the back before (while) slipping. (Prior poster asked how to move after the Psso.)

So Row 2, if I have just k1, yo, k1 and I'm going to slip. Next stitch is p2. Do I move yarn front, slip knit wise, p2? Or do I keep yarn back, slip knitwise then move front to p2? Or does that also not matter? Maybe I'm asking the same thing as above, I don't know. It's confusing.

I knitted the rows about 4 times, and I'm worried whether the pattern that is developing actually matches what the picture shows. Since I have to make 2 of the same panels, I opted to move the panel I have going off to another set of needles/cables, and I'm gonna start the 2nd panel and see if it looks the same. (Of course if I mess it up twice the same way, it could look the same and still be wrong! LOL!) I sure wish I could just sit with you guys so you could have a look and say, "You're fine!" or nope, better rip to your lifeline!

TIA,
Cheryl
craff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I would leave the yarn in the back for the slip and bring it to the front for the purl.

It will leave a bar across the stitch, and I am assuming that this will be on the back.

A pattern will tell you where to move the yarn if that bar is a part of the right-side pattern.

If you have a link to the particular pattern you're working, we can look at it and tell, most likely.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
craff1
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for your quick answer. The designer says the pattern is reversible. Will it leave a bar no matter if I pull forward or leave it back, it'll just be on the front instead of the back? If that's the case, then if I do it the way you said, then when I do row 2 it would be on the back and when I do row 4 it would be...heck now I'm lost because I can't think it through the turning the work back and forth to figure out if that bar would be on the same side or opposite side if I were to (for row 4) leave in front for the slip and bring to back for the knit? (I'm not looking at it right now as I type but I think I am remembering right that row 4 is the reverse of row 2.) I'm working flat, back and forth, and creating 2 pieces to sew together as the designer did, not in the round.

This is the link to download the pattern from ravelry. Row 2 and 4 are exactly as the OP posted so she may have been working on the same project (unless those are very common lace rows, I wouldn't know - I'm a newer knitter.)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stockholm-scarf
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stockholm-scarf

Thanks so much for your help.
craff1 is offline   Reply With Quote