Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
supercaity1284
Casting On

Insane idea
So I've been thinking a lot lately and realizing that there are no knitting stores in my town that I just moved to. I mean, there's Hobby Lobby and that has a small selection of good yarn/needles. It's pretty much just one aisle. Walmart has some stuff but not a huge selection. Your only options are to drive 40 miles to Tulsa or order on the internet for good yarn/help/classes/etc.
There IS a club that I attend with wonderful ladies and there are twice a week knit-ins.

I would like to open a knitting/yarn store in my town but I wouldn't know the first place to begin. Plus I'm a beginner - I can want a store to open but it's not fair to open one myself with such little knowledge on the subject - just a love of it...it's not fair to those who go there.

I think there's a market for it - I'm not really worried about that - just worried about the other aspect of it...my newbie status.

Maybe get one of the ladies from the knitting club to go in with me on it?

Thoughts?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,348 Times in 3,032 Posts
Definitely get partners with expertise in knitting and experience in business (and ideally someone with money). Starting a business now, with loans so difficult to come by is not an easy task. There are often volunteer-staffed offices who will advise start ups on all the how-tos. Perhaps there's one in your town or nearby.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
supercaity1284 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Do your homework. See if the knitters in your area would really buy yarn at retail. Over the past 10 years, there have been several knitting stores that open and closed shortly thereafter in my area. Their prices just couldn't compete with on-line discounts out there. As much as I wanted to support them, I couldn't bring myself to pay what they were charging.

I'm sure you could find an experienced knitter to help out with instruction and classes--we love to share our craft; staying in business would be my primary concern.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

I would never open a new business with today's economy being what it is--and with very little hope of improving, too. If you have lots of extra money lying around that you don't need and never want to see again, then go right ahead.

Sorry to be so negative, but it just does not make sense to pour money into an iffy business--especially a business based on a craft, which while certainly fun, relaxing, and exciting, is NOT essential to living life.

I have seen so many small businesses open and shortly close here in my part of Texas, and we have a fairly low unemployment rate. People everywhere, including knitters, are tightening their belts and spending less.

It's up to you, of course, but I would strongly advise against it. Add that to the fact that often when you immerse yourself in a craft from the business side of it, you soon become sick of the craft and never want to do it again. Consider my cousin who years ago decided she wanted to machine quilt as a business. She pretty much HATES quilting now!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
supercaity1284
Casting On

Thanks so much for y'alls insight! And don't worry about being "negative" - reality is not a horrible thing!

I've found a couple opportunities through sprigster.com/boost a hero crowd funding for veterans (which I am - medically retired since 2010) - and the VA offers small business loans.

As far as it being a niche market, that is definitely something to consider. I'm going to talk to the ladies in the knitting guild I go to and see what they think...see if maybe some of them want to come in on it or at least teach classes/etc.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,348 Times in 3,032 Posts
Good luck with it! Keep us updated on what you decide to do and how it's going.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
From what I hear around the shop my LYS is not doing as well as it once was. Those of us who spend a lot of time in there are keeping our fingers crossed it doesn't close.

What we love about our LYS -

Free Friday night social knitting group. On a busy night there's maybe 12-15 people. Most of us do buy our yarn there to help support. I've heard of stores charging for social knitting. Bad idea. Most of us would find somewhere else to sit, knit and chat.
Free Tuesday night spinning group.
A pretty good variety of quality yarn. Some expensive, some less so.
Regular sales.
Lots of classes for knitting and crochet projects. You pay before, but most if not all the $ goes to the teacher and you are supposed to buy your yarn there. There are beginner classes and certain times where you can drop in, pay the teacher and get help.

They also have Super Bowl parties and "slumber" parties where we wear our jammies and slippers and knit, eat, play games, look and purchase yarn with the discount coupon in our goodie bag. It's 6-10:30, not all night.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Don't lose sight of your dream before researching all avenues. Keep us posted.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Sorry, but I'm with the negative crowd. This is not a good time to start a business, especially a niche business like this one. What I would suggest is that your group of ladies go talk to the manager at Walmart. See if you can talk him into stocking more yarn. Tell him what you want. I have two Walmarts in my town. One has a lot of craft things including yarn, the other is phasing all theirs out. There's no demand for it on that part of town. Maybe if he sees your interest in yarn, he might stock more of it for you. The other thing with Walmart is that you can order online and have it delivered to your home for about 97 cents for some orders. You also have the option of having it shipped to your local Walmart and picking it up there at no charge.

Sometimes having it delivered right to your door is a time and gas saver. And you and your valuable time are worth it. If you do have to drive to a store, why not carpool with the other ladies and split the cost of gas? It's a great excuse for a road trip and ladies' day out.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
wachee
Casting On

Being from Oklahoma I know our economy is stronger than most. I saw a new craft store open up locally. I think that you could make it work but you should have enough capital to carry you for a year to give the business time to gain a following. Good luck and let me know if you go for it I will be a customer for sure!
wachee is offline   Reply With Quote