Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

As it turns out, using a bigger needle at the end didn't make a difference. I think it may have even ended up slightly tighter than usual. Even my 12 year old sister was having a hard time putting it on her wrist. This is an issue I only have with the bind-off, not the bind-on. Could it be that the fact that I pull on the string each time I knit a stitch during the bind off? I do this while I knit the entire cuff, to make sure that it is tight. Should I not be doing this at the bind off? Should I just be binding off in a very loose fashion?

Or perhaps... would it just help you guys better to understand if I made a video showing how I bind-off?

Last edited by GabrielleCaramelle : 08-07-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: adding a last minute detail
GabrielleCaramelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
For me, my cast on is tighter than my bind off. I suspect that's what's going on. What I do is when I bind off, I PURL all the stitches rather than knit them. This makes the cast on and bind off look the same. It also pulls the bind off in a little. Try it and see what you think. And welcome to KH!
I just recently learned how to purl, so that much I understand. But are you saying that if I purl INSTEAD of binding off, it's going to finish my knit just the same? Or is it something I should do before binding off..? I'm a little bit confused. Willing to try anything to get this frustratingly repetitive issue out of the way!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, don't pull the yarn very much at all when you bind off. You should never pull the yarn tight at all when knitting. If you want smaller stitches, go down a needle size. Making the next stitch tightens up the previous stitch so there's no need to pull the yarn or you end up with sts that a just too tight to work.

Quote:
But are you saying that if I purl INSTEAD of binding off, it's going to finish my knit just the same?
The poster above was saying that if you purl sts as you bind off instead of knitting them, they may be looser. It would be like binding off on a purl row. So instead of k2 and lift a stitch over to bind off, purl 2 and lift it over, then purl the next and lift over and so on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Ah... I understand. Okay, I will definitely try making my knitting generally much looser by stoping this string-tightening of mine. I will also try the purl bind off trick. Will give news shortly.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by GabrielleCaramelle View Post
Alright, well I'll try using a larger needle at the final bind off, see if that helps.. Because my bind-off is definitely too tight.

Thanks guys
I always use a larger needle to bind off. For instance, if I was knitting with a US8, I'd use a US10 to bind off. Sometimes even bigger than that! Maybe a US13! I try different sizes in the right hand needle to bind off, and if I still think it's too tight looking after a few bindoffs, I undo it and start again with an even bigger needle.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Err... I'm having an issue with the purl bind off. It should be really simple seeing that I can purl and I can bind off, but every time I try, I have to start all over again because something goes wrong. I show this mistake in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxp-f...ature=youtu.be

Can someone help me figure out what that mistake is and how to fix it..? I know I ask allot of questions in this forum but it is greatly appreciated..!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I always use a larger needle to bind off. For instance, if I was knitting with a US8, I'd use a US10 to bind off. Sometimes even bigger than that! Maybe a US13! I try different sizes in the right hand needle to bind off, and if I still think it's too tight looking after a few bindoffs, I undo it and start again with an even bigger needle.
Hm... I did try it with a bigger needle already and it was still too tight. I'm not familiar with the sizes of needles yet, I get them in a bin in a church sale for close to nothing cost wise... (sigh. better than nothing!) and the ones I have don't have numbers on them on the top like I noticed some do.

Howeber, I can say that the needle I used at the end was about 1 1/2 times the size of the one I used to knit the cuff up to that point. The end result was that it was just as tight as usual, only the bind off area seemed to be thicker than the rest of the cuff. Strange...

Should I try an even bigger needle at the end? Like 2x the size of the one I use normaly? Or do you think there might just be something really wrong with the way I bind off period... hahaha
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay, take a look at the purl only Video again. You're wrapping the yarn around the back of the needle as well as the tip. That's why you're getting 2 sts. Keep the yarn toward you all the time and when you wrap it make sure it only goes around the tip.

When we say a purl BO, we don't mean do a row in purl and bind off, we mean that instead of knitting the sts when you bindoff, purl them as you go instead.

Last edited by suzeeq : 08-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,376 Times in 3,059 Posts
I don't know if you've watched the bind off video on this site but it might help to do so. There are other videos for bind off but this is the one commonly used.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

And if the purl bind-off doesn't work, don't despair. There are several different ways to bind off--one will eventually work for you, or we will continuing trying to figure out what the problem is here at KH.

This Web site has a list of stretchy bind-offs with step-by-step instructions (and pictures). If your current BO method isn't working, try one of these: http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/n...bind-offs.aspx
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote