Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
pippam
Casting On

Stumped on heel
I think I have finally stumbled on a solution to my same problem by finding this thread!

I have been knitting a Purl Bee pattern, but as this is my first sock I am absolutely stumped by the heel. This is how they describe it:

Set up for heel flap
Reposition stitches as follows, place first 15 sts on a dpn; place next 30 sts on large stitch holder; place last 15 sts on a dpn. Reposition the 15 sts from the dpns onto your circular needle so that they meet one another in the middle and work the 30 sts for heel flap.

Do you think that they mean to knit the flap on the circular needle, where I have placed both outer sets of 15 stitches?

Any ideas would be great as Christmas is slowly looming...
pippam is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I think I have finally stumbled on a solution to my same problem by finding this thread!

I have been knitting a Purl Bee pattern, but as this is my first sock I am absolutely stumped by the heel. This is how they describe it:

Set up for heel flap
Reposition stitches as follows, place first 15 sts on a dpn; place next 30 sts on large stitch holder; place last 15 sts on a dpn. Reposition the 15 sts from the dpns onto your circular needle so that they meet one another in the middle and work the 30 sts for heel flap.

Do you think that they mean to knit the flap on the circular needle, where I have placed both outer sets of 15 stitches?

Any ideas would be great as Christmas is slowly looming...
Rather than post in an old thread it would be better to start your own. People often don't co e back to old threads.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,418 Times in 3,098 Posts
I've moved this post to its own thread. Jan's right, it'll get more replies as its own question.
Yes, knit the heel on the circular needle with the sts postioned as the pattern directs.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Quote:
Yes
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
pippam
Casting On

Thank you all! Hopefully I will master it and have no more problems... alternatively I will probably be asking more questions when it comes to shaping the heel!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Are you on Ravelry? As a new sock knitter, I find the Fish lips Kiss Heel to be so much easier than regular sock heels. Something to keep in mind for the future. I will never go back to knitting a flap and gusset heel. The FLK heel looks better, fits better, and is easier to knit! Go to ravelry.com and serch for the group Sox Therapy.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
pippam
Casting On

I am on Ravelry - thank you for the advice! Next time I might try that if it seems a bit easier. Especially seeing as I am now stuck on the gusset of this pattern...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,418 Times in 3,098 Posts
What in particular on the gusset is causing problems? You could quote a few lines that are causing problems if you'd like.
This video may help (depending on your pattern instructions).
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...heel-of-a-sock
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
pippam
Casting On

Gusset problems
So I have followed the pattern, managed to shape the heel and started the gusset, however it looks so wrong to me!

This is the pattern:
http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/...-stocking.html

Where it said to retrieve the stitches on holder and work across, I knitted the stitches on the holder - was that right? It seemed very strange because those on the holder were purl stitches facing me. I continued with the instructions and purled all across the 78 stitches.

I've tried to add a picture in here but the file size is too big.. will try to make it smaller and show you!

It just looks so wrong to me because I thought the back of the heel was where I am supposed to sew the flat leg piece up, but it seems to be attached to the middle of the stocking?

Any ideas? It's beginning to drive me crazy!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
pippam
Casting On

I think I figured it out... I joined the wrong sides of the sets of 15 stitches! Very silly mistake. Have unpicked it all and started again from the heel flap... hopefully this time I might get it right!
The Following User Says Thank You to pippam For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (12-14-2013)