Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Would a brace help re: numb sensations?
I'm not sure if my problem originated with work or what, but over the past year I've had problems with numb-ish feelings through my right arm down into the hand, plus pain problems with right side of the head down into my upper shoulder. Even that side of the face feels numb-ish sometimes. I think its a pinched nerve problem stemming from repetitive motion at work. Anyways, its causing trouble with my knitting. I've pretty much refrained from knitting much at all this past year in fear of making it worse, but I love knitting. Its a real bummer. I wonder if a wrist brace might help, to keep my hand steady and not cause a flare-up. Heck I really should probably see a chiropractor, I just get afraid one might snap my neck too hard or make it worse.
Nenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nenwing For This Useful Post:
TeeBee (08-10-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A neck, shoulder and upper back massage would probably work wonders, either a 15-20 minute chair massage or half an hour on the table. It's probably more how you sit or your posture while you knit or at work. Take frequent breaks in both activities, do neck and shoulder stretches and rolls. You might also have tight muscles in your lower arms too, which you can find and help with self massage.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
TeeBee (08-10-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Nenwing View Post
I wonder if a wrist brace might help, to keep my hand steady and not cause a flare-up. Heck I really should probably see a chiropractor, I just get afraid one might snap my neck too hard or make it worse.
Ouch!

I'll second the massage recommendation, but sleeping in a wrist brace can't hurt and it's an inexpensive experiment to see if it helps.

My "good" hand goes numb when I hold my needles too tight or knit too long. Not knowing how you grip your needles, maybe trying a looser grip is also an inexpensive experiment?

Good luck, and I hope you get some relief!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I've worn magnetic bracelets to help with repetitive motion syndrome of my hands, wrists, fingers. Also, a magnetic necklace to help with tight shoulder muscles. Athletes use magnetics as well. Magnetics increase circulation in the specific area, which in turn helps your body 'right' itself. For instance, magnetics applied to a deep bruise quickens the body's ability to flush away the dead blood in the tissue.

Read up on the use of magnetics. Just google it. And check the website www.nikken.com Perhaps you've heard of them. They promote (and sell) magnetics that are, IMHO, far superior to anything I've seen elsewhere.

BTW: magnetic bracelets and necklaces don't "wear out".

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Nenwing, have you seen a doctor about this? It's gone on long enough. You want to understand the cause of the problem and you want relief but you also want to make sure you're not doing further damage.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I think you have received some great suggestions. One thing that my friend who is an Occupational Therapist recommended was to put a pillow between your side and arm. I have had similar problems from time to time (I have a long standing issue with my right shoulder also). It helps keep you from tensing those muscles as much and providing some support. Sometimes I use a small pillow, other times a bed pillow. I recently was having problems and I had been sitting on the sofa knitting. It is better for me to sit in an arm chair and prop my feet up. Its a little firmer and I get more support.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been trying to ease back into knitting, after every row or two stopping to take a stretch break.

I have been to the doc, unfortunately his answer to most things is to just say "you need to relax and take an antidepressant". I probably need a new doc, but we don't have health insurance.

I do need to try a chiropractor or something similar, as long as its not crazy expensive. That would at least be a start. I've been taking magnesium because I've heard that is good for nerve health, I think it helps some.
Nenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
insanenewknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, I agree the salmonmac, you should probably see a doctor.
And, yes, you probably need a new doctor. You can't go on with him telling you that you are 'imagining it'. It's not true. I had a doctor trying to tell me that I imagined it, and a test said something very different. Don't let it wait to the point where it is irreversible.
Not fun, I really feel for you.

Last edited by insanenewknitter : 08-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.
insanenewknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to insanenewknitter For This Useful Post:
TeeBee (08-10-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes magnesium is a natural 'muscle relaxant' so would be good to take, and B6 is good as well, particularly for carpal tunnel like symptoms. Keep in mind that only about 30% of CTS diagnoses are true carpal tunnel problems, so don't get scared into thinking you need surgery. Most people who have surgery need it redone, usually because the cause is not in the carpal tunnel itself, but is problem with overly tight muscles that squeeze the nerves and blood vessels. You can do a lot to relieve the symptoms by doing self massage on your lower arms (the muscles that control the hands and fingers) and your neck and shoulders.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I certainly feel for you. I too have issues with neck, shoulder and nerve problems down into the hand, right one of course, since that is my working paw. A wrist brace does help and I also have a magnetic bracelet that I wear. However, in today's world of chiropractic, I really do not think a D.C. would ever 'crack' your neck as in days of yore. They generally manipulate. I hope you find relief and will be able to resume not only your knitting but free from constant pain. Keep us posted, and Best Wishes.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote