Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, a lot of chiros do gently work on your spine more than the idea they wrench the neck. I've been seeing one for 2 months and my blood pressure has dropped 30 points and a lot of neck and upper shoulder issues are improving.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, that is a relief that a lot of chiropractors don't do the ole "neck snap" maneuver. Is that an older method?

I am betting a chiropractor would help more than my regular MD, he would probably just end up shrugging his shoulders and referring me to another type of doctor anyways.

Thank you, I do hope someday this can be fixed, it sure isn't fun living with problems like this, especially if one enjoys crafts like knitting!
Nenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Nenwing View Post
I'm not sure if my problem originated with work or what, but over the past year I've had problems with numb-ish feelings through my right arm down into the hand, plus pain problems with right side of the head down into my upper shoulder. Even that side of the face feels numb-ish sometimes. I think its a pinched nerve problem stemming from repetitive motion at work. Anyways, its causing trouble with my knitting. I've pretty much refrained from knitting much at all this past year in fear of making it worse, but I love knitting. Its a real bummer. I wonder if a wrist brace might help, to keep my hand steady and not cause a flare-up. Heck I really should probably see a chiropractor, I just get afraid one might snap my neck too hard or make it worse.
I too have neck and arm issues with headaches. However, since knitting I started getting more aches in my hands/wrists/fingers. I wear my wrist braces at night now, during sleep, and I cannot tell you how much it has helped my hands/wrists.

As far as the neck, mine is disk degeneration. There is no more space between my C5-6 disks so they are touching. and pinching on my spinal cord/nerve. I agree with the other poster PROFESSION MASSAGE is the answer. I have found a great gal, she is rough and tough and that girl digs in all of my painful triggerpoints...LOL. Make sure when you are calling around for one, ask if they are a wussy therapst or a tough one. They will tell you because they know... Hope you feel better!! Gotta keep knitting!!
deann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'd recommend you see a doctor. It's against the law to diagnose or prescribe treatment for someone. We had to be careful not to do this when I worked in the health food field. We could refer them to the herb books but not tell customers specifically what herbs or combinations they should use. Most states require you to be an MD or a nurse. Some but not all states allow you to do this with an herbal degree. Some allow you to practice with a Doctor of Naturopathy degree. There's a liability and criminal issue here. I'm not trying to be mean about it, just saying.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
TeeBee (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
TeeBee
Casting On

Hi Nenwing and others!

I also have this problem. Last year it was only in my arm and hand, so had surgery for my detatching tendons. It got MUCH better, but, alas, I'm in pain again. Some days I cannot even pick up a glass of tea with my right hand. Now the pain has migrated into my shoulder and neck. I am going back to the doc again as soon as I can afford it...lol!

As some have stated, massage is really helpful, whenever I can persuade my fiancee into obliging! I also use a rice sock...(just that, big sock, fill with rice, tie end, microwave 3 minutes = warm, moist heat.)

I am now at the point of relearning how to knit; rather, to learn how to knit Continental so that I can lessen the use of my right hand and arm. Going well, so far, but frustrating because I was a pretty fast thrower!

Hope you find some relief soon!!! Great suggestions on here, by the way!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Somehow I do have to get this figured out. Sometimes I worry it is never going to get better and I'm going to be this way forever, hopefully that isn't true!

I think step one would be for me to try and see a chiropractor.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
I don't think a wrist brace will help at all. My reasoning is that if the pain is running down your arm then the issue may likely be higher up If it is from the elbow down it could be compression of the ulna nerve located pinky side of the arm. If the pain is coming from even higher up it could even be originating in the neck.

You described pain in your upper head down into your shoulder which may be muscle spasms. Each muscle then tugs on the other causing further spasms and can temporarily compress nerves. Many times inflammation is the cause of this and something such as advil taken regularly for 3 to 4 days can help. It isn't recommended to continue self treatment beyond a few days as advil can cause gastrointestinal problems.

Physio or at the very least, range of motion exercises will help strengthen muscles and thereby helping to relieve spasms. I am not talking about a huge amount of exercise, just several repeats of each of 10 simple exercises a few times a day will even help. Also tightening and then releasing each muscle beginning in your face and working down to your toes will help as well. For me, I find relieve very quickly, usually the same day.

Voltaren gel contains the anti inflammatory diclofenac and can be applied to sore muscles. This rub works amazingly! Especially with the range of motion exercises.

I hope you feel better soon
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Christinechrstms1, I've actually been digging around online for some stretches and exercises to do. I found a good one that I'm trying to do several times a day, just started. Hopefully it will help, maybe enough stretching will finally loosen it up, though I think it would take awhile to have effect since its been this way for some time now. When its particularly bugging me, there does seem to be a knot in my upper back/shoulder area, right near where the neck flows into the shoulder/upper back area (if that makes sense).

I do try to stay away as much as I can from painkillers as I have read about the "rebound" effect.

Hopefully between the magnesium and a regimen of stretches this can work itself out. Here's hoping!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Something else to try is knitting differently (switching from continental to english or vice-versa).

I personally would never go to a chiropractor, the massage idea sounds good. I recently started experiencing numbness as well, and seem to have a sometimes pinched nerve at the base of my neck, top of my back and my pinky and ring fingers on my right hand (I knit continental) seem to be the ones which experience the most numbness.

I have noticed when I knit Portuguese style, I get some relief. (For Portuguese style knitting look up Andrea Wong's group on Ravelry: Portuguese Knitting) or Knitting Daily video.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
See what you can do to get that knot between your shoulders to relax. Heat can help or massage or even pressure like from a ball - lay on it with the ball under the knot and roll it around a little. A knot won't stretch, you have to relax it first, then it can. But try stretching the muscles in the arms and the neck and that will all help, they're all connected.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote