Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
WIP: Silky Wool "Petronia" Cardigan
Oh yay! Now that the Banana Tree cardigan is done, and the Shih Tzu snuggy doggie bed is done...I can finally cast on for this PETRONIA cardigan I purchased from Twist Collective a year ago!

I've been waffling about the yarn choice, and finally decided on a dusty blue Silky Wool
that's been lingering in my stash for years. I got excited about Silky Wool back when...then my love waned...then my love grew again after I knit the Pinnate last month. Silky Wool is so comfortable to wear!
It blocks beautifully! Plus, every hank is 192 yds!

This shade of blue looks good on brunettes in addition to blondes and redheads.

Anyway, I've accomplished the extra large swatch...that had to be measured 'over the chart lace pattern'! Gah. Don't ya just hate that? But my stitch gauge is spot on. Row gauge is 1/4" longer over the 33 rows. And my extra large swatch (43 st by 35 rows) enabled me to get used to this chart. So it's like a practice run! I seriously wet-blocked it, because right off the needles the swatch was a wonky hot mess. But Silky Wool is very compliant to wet-blocking, and decides to play nice!

I've cast on for the Back, too...and I'm rollin' along pretty good.
This cardigan has the cutest cutest 31-row ribbing! It's taller than normal...and very unexpected! I like!

The pattern stitch looks complicated, but it's really really simple. Just K2T's, SSK's and YO's create this nice pattern stitch!

The greatest challenge will be the shaping 'in pattern'. You can't be casual about what you do when it comes time to work the armhole shaping. But I'm up for the challenge. It isn't hard, but you just have to put your noggin to work and THINK about what you're going to do at each end of every decrease row cuz those yarnovers will fall where they're the least convenient.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Beautiful color and pattern!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Oooh, it is going to be really pretty. Looks great so far.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,463 Times in 3,140 Posts
That going to be lovely. Just the swatch is gorgeous.
About those yarn overs. The first time, I was so intent on the pattern that I missed the fact that my decreases weren't decreasing anything. I had to laugh when I realized what was going on. I don't think I've ever seen a Warning Label on a pattern.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

Love it! It's very leafy looking, and I love knit leaves. I hope this project will fly off your needles with no problems whatsoever. Happy knitting.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Progress...slow but sure!
Oy vey. Of the 91 rows that need to be worked before the armhole shaping commences...I'm up to Row 75.

My row gauge being "off" is showing it's ugly head. By measuring what I've done so far, and calculating how tall the last 26 rows will be...my piece will come in at 3/4" taller than the 'estimate' given in the pattern.

I can live with that, however this means that my armhole will measure 9.75" (rather than 9") if I work all 77 armhole rows prescribed. So I will have to eliminate 3 or 4 rows from the armhole. It wouldn't be a biggy except that the designer says to end the armholes at the shoulder on a Chart row 14. I'll have to end on a Chart Row 10 or 11.

See how it looks (above) before blocking? Yipes!

I really love how the ribbing transitions right into the Charted Pattern stitch! Smooth. Seamless. The pattern has a great "set up row". It really adds a nice launch for the Chart.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote