Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
deannalexis
Casting On

Dpns to Non-Circular Knit
So, I'm knitting up these fingerless gloves from a pattern on Ravelry. (See the PDF here: http://www.christychristine.com/pdf/...es_Jan2010.pdf .)

After knitting the wrist part in ribbing, the pattern says, "The color working is easiest to do in a non-circular knit (thumb gusset will finish the edges nicely)." I'm not doing any of the color working because my yarn is self-striping and I just want the yarn design. My problem is: How do I move from dpns to a "non-circular knit"? What does that look like?
And then, when you start the fingers on the right hand, it says, "Place a marker before the last stitch on Needle 3, and place a second marker 25 stitches previously." How do I have three needles if I'm knitting a "non-circular knit"?

Thanks for your help!
deannalexis is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you're not doing the colorwork you can continue knitting in the round. If you want to knit flat (non-circular) you can do it on the dpns, still using 3 to hold the sts. You'd just be turning to knit on the WS and when you finish one needle, use the empty one to knit onto, just like with knitting in the round. But you can just keep on knitting in the round for as long as the colorwork would be instead.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
deannalexis
Casting On

Thanks, Sue!
If I continue to knit in the round, won't I eliminate the thumb gusset, though?
"Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber. She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes. She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns. She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised."

- Proverbs 31:19,21-22,25,30
Old 08-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Never mind, I didn't see the link above. You can still work them flat on the dpns and that'll make the thumb gusset.

Last edited by suzeeq : 08-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
They have you work back and forth on the 3 needles to keep the edges from getting all stretched out, as well as to work the color pattern. You can just work back and forth (knit rs, purl ws) until you've worked the length of the color pattern--this will leave the thumb as written.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by deannalexis View Post
Thanks, Sue!
If I continue to knit in the round, won't I eliminate the thumb gusset, though?
The way these gloves are constructed takes advantage of the opening that knitting back and forth creates and uses that opening for the thumb gusset. Later, you pick up sts starting at the bottom of the opening for the thumb gusset. You could knit back and forth and follow the pattern or you could look at directions for other gloves which are knit in the round and increase sts on either side of a center thumb stitch. That then becomes the thumb gusset.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
deannalexis
Casting On

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! I figured out what was going on and I went with it. I finished the first glove last night and while it's a bit large, I think the recipient will love them.

Thanks again!
"Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber. She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes. She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns. She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised."

- Proverbs 31:19,21-22,25,30