Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
kblair
Casting On

trouble with afghan pattern
I have been working on this afghan pattern for awhile, and I'm finding that my original cast on of 230 stitches keeps growing and I'm having to change it to longer needles. I must be doing something wrong.
The pattern says:
Row 1: *(k2tog) 4 times, (yo, k1) 7 times, yo, (ssk) 4 times; rep from *across
Row 2 and 3: knit across
Row 4: Purl across

Does it make sense that my work is growing? I think it is because of all the yo, but I don't think it should be like this.

Please help!

Thanks, Kristyn
kblair is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,418 Times in 3,098 Posts

It shouldn't be increasing across row 1 or any of the other rows. On row one you derease 8sts (4x k2tog and 4x ssk). There are 7 yarn overs and later, one yarn over for a total of 8sts increased. So repeat the k2tog x4, the yo x7, a yo x1 and then the ssk x4 and you should be ok. See if you can go back over the last row one on the needle and identify all the sts to find out where you're gaining sts. It may also help to put in stitch markers between the repeats. These can be a simple as circles of yarn if you'd like.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
kblair
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post

It shouldn't be increasing across row 1 or any of the other rows. On row one you derease 8sts (4x k2tog and 4x ssk). There are 7 yarn overs and later, one yarn over for a total of 8sts increased. So repeat the k2tog x4, the yo x7, a yo x1 and then the ssk x4 and you should be ok. See if you can go back over the last row one on the needle and identify all the sts to find out where you're gaining sts. It may also help to put in stitch markers between the repeats. These can be a simple as circles of yarn if you'd like.
Thank you for your help! I have been misreading the pattern (still really new to all this) and doing 4 x yo with the ssk, which is what is causing the problem.
Thanks again, Kristyn
kblair is offline   Reply With Quote