Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
newkansasknitter
Casting On

Place marker help
I'm knitting a long cable knit sweater that has decreases to shape through hips/waist. The pattern calls for 139 stitches per row. Then the following: rib 32 pmA rib 75 pmA rib 32 ( so I see the markers are evenly spaced from the ends ) the next row is: rib to 1 st before marker, ssp, smA, k2tog, rib to next marker, ssk, smA, p2tog, rib to end. Here's what I don't understand: it seems that the first decrease ssp occurs over the two stitches on either side of the first marker (so I have to remove it to do the ssk and then replace it) with the second decrease on the inside (center) of the work, but when you get to the other end the third decrease is after the second marker (that i replace afterwards) with the fourth on the outside panel of the work. But then the shaping is not centered, so I think that can't be right. Can someone help me understand? thanks!!
newkansasknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That does seem off, I would bet the incs should be outside the markers, or at least one stitch on each side of the marker. What's the name of the pattern, and is it online somewhere? Sometimes reading ahead to the next few rows can help - there might be a stitch count given or something that will clear things up.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
You know what the sts are in this row near the markers (a k2p2 rib?), but I'd center the decreases on either side of the markers. So: rib to 2 sts before marker, ssp, smA, k2tog, rib to 2 sts before the next marker, ssk, smA, p2tog, rib to end.
That makes the markers easier to work with (you don't have to take them off in order to do the decreases). Yes, a pattern link would help.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
I'd center the decreases on either side of the markers. So: rib to 2 sts before marker, ssp, smA, k2tog, rib to 2 sts before the next marker, ssk, smA, p2tog, rib to end.
I agree, this makes a lot more sense.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
newkansasknitter
Casting On

It's a K1 P1 rib. The next row is just continue in rib and slip markers. Later you do more decreases at the markers again, so it seemed like the decreases should be centered and keep the markers in place. I'm just new enough to feel like I shouldn't second guess the pattern on the 20th row, but it didn't make sense!! Not sure you can see the pattern but here's the link. http://www.sweaterbabe.com/122-tie-f...led-long-vest/
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
Well, sometimes we see this. Your instincts are right, just use the markers as a center point and decrease on either side. Read more of the pattern and see that that make sense with the rest of the decreases or increases and then go ahead. Nice looking sweater!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
newkansasknitter
Casting On

So the only trouble now is that the row starts with a knit st, so when I get to 2st before the marker it's a knit stitch, so doing the ssp there puts two purls in a row followed by the k2tog and another knit - reverse problem on the other end of the row. So I've decided to reverse the decreases to ssk p2tog and later to ssp k2tog which keeps the rib intact. Later in the pattern the decreases happen on all purl rows and are centered on the markers - one before and one after: ssp p1 sm p1 p2tog. Thanks for all of your help!! Hope it turns out okay!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

That sounds good, do whatever dec you need to do to keep the rib pattern going, that's the main thing.