Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
cdepaolo
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trouble with the "Lacy Fern Afghan" pattern
Hi. I am fairly new to knitting, although I have completed an afghan and a poncho project, and have practiced quite a bit. I am trying out the Lacy Fern Afghan pattern from "Under Cover" and have hit a snag VERY early on. I am hoping someone can help me see what I am doing wrong.

My problem comes in with Row 1. I have to cast on 166 stitches, then purl the foundation row. That's all going along very well of course . When I get to row 1 though, I run out of stitches. I have restarted this project 4 times and am now hoping I can find someone to guide me because I can't figure this one out for myself. The directions for Row 1 are as follows:

*K1, p1, SK2P, k10, yo, k1, yo, p2, yo, k1, yo, k10, k3tog, p1; rep from * 4 times, end k1.

My conundrum is this: If I have 166 stitches on my needle, how can I possibly knit 171 stitches? That is the number that I come up with when I add the stitches above together. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong and guide me to get over row 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cathy
cdepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 236
Thanked 675 Times in 632 Posts
This comes out right for me.

Below are a couple of things to check (and note):

Does the pattern say "repeat 4 times more"? Because you need to repeat the stitches between the asterisks 5 times total to get to 165 (then add the last stitch after the repeat).

Also, yo's do not use any stitches to make a new stitch. You are simply wrapping the yarn around the needle (you may want to take a look at the Glossary tab at top to make sure you're doing these right--'cause you wrap the yarn differently before a purl stitch and a knit stitch).

Both the SK2P and the K3tog take 3 stitches to make 1 (so a decrease of 2 stitches).

There are two things to be aware of when counting stitches in knitting: One is how many stitches you USE, and the other is how many stitches you MAKE.

In this pattern, row 1 will have the same number of stitches as the foundation row (but note: that's not always the case). So when you count out how many stitches you will USE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog = 6; yo's = 0 (because you don't use any stitches to make them) Which gives you 27 + 6 = 33 repeated 5 times = 165 + 1 knit stitch at end.

When you count how many stitches you MAKE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog=2 (this how many stitches are on your needle after you've completed each decrease); yo's = 4; So again, that's 33 stitches repeated 5 times + the 1 stitch at the end!

Hope I didn't overwhelm you, but this can get tricky if you're not thinking about it right.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
cdepaolo (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
cdepaolo
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
This comes out right for me.

Below are a couple of things to check (and note):

Does the pattern say "repeat 4 times more"? Because you need to repeat the stitches between the asterisks 5 times total to get to 165 (then add the last stitch after the repeat).

Also, yo's do not use any stitches to make a new stitch. You are simply wrapping the yarn around the needle (you may want to take a look at the Glossary tab at top to make sure you're doing these right--'cause you wrap the yarn differently before a purl stitch and a knit stitch).

Both the SK2P and the K3tog take 3 stitches to make 1 (so a decrease of 2 stitches).

There are two things to be aware of when counting stitches in knitting: One is how many stitches you USE, and the other is how many stitches you MAKE.

In this pattern, row 1 will have the same number of stitches as the foundation row (but note: that's not always the case). So when you count out how many stitches you will USE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog = 6; yo's = 0 (because you don't use any stitches to make them) Which gives you 27 + 6 = 33 repeated 5 times = 165 + 1 knit stitch at end.

When you count how many stitches you MAKE, it looks like this: regular knit and purl stitches = 27 stitches within repeat + 1 at end; SK2P and K3tog=2 (this how many stitches are on your needle after you've completed each decrease); yo's = 4; So again, that's 33 stitches repeated 5 times + the 1 stitch at the end!

Hope I didn't overwhelm you, but this can get tricky if you're not thinking about it right.
In addition to the thank you!!!, I want to say that I was knitting 2 in the SK2P, as I thought the direction was to knit 2, rather than knit 2 together(I should have looked that up rather than assumed I knew what to do)....the instruction for repeat is to just repeat 4 times, so I will run through the pattern for a total of 5 times.

My count was off because I was counting SK2P as 4 stitches, rather than 2. This might make up for the loss that I was seeing. I was getting 34 times 5 (170), plus 1, leaving me with the 171 total. Thank you again. I can move forward and hopefully not get stuck again!
cdepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,121
Thanks: 608
Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
Originally Posted by cdepaolo View Post
My count was off because I was counting SK2P as 4 stitches, rather than 2. This might make up for the loss that I was seeing. I was getting 34 times 5 (170), plus 1, leaving me with the 171 total. Thank you again. I can move forward and hopefully not get stuck again!
OK, sounds like good advice but remember the SK2P takes 3 sts as Antares mentioned and ends up with one st, a double decrease.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
cdepaolo
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another issue with the pattern
Hi. I feel like I am back too soon with another question, but I'm at a loss. When the pattern says to knit the k's and purl the p's, what am I supposed to do with the yarn overs? Row 1 has yarn overs intermingled with knits and purls, but my attempt to apply the knits to the yarn overs next to the knits and purls to the yarn overs next to the purls was a failure.

The piece of the pattern takes the row that I started this thread with and says to knit the k's and purl the p's in Row 2.

Thank you for your help.
cdepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If the YOs are done on the knit row, they're like a knit stitch so on the next row will be purls. If done on a purl row, they'd be like a purl stitch and would be knit on the next row. It looks like they're all done on the knit/RS row, so you would purl them on row 2.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
cdepaolo
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
If the YOs are done on the knit row, they're like a knit stitch so on the next row will be purls. If done on a purl row, they'd be like a purl stitch and would be knit on the next row. It looks like they're all done on the knit/RS row, so you would purl them on row 2.
Thank you suzeeq! I will give the purling a shot.
cdepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone ever knit "lacy throw" by bernat? alayna Pattern Central 10 07-21-2011 06:26 PM
Need a "translation" for Wenlan Chia's Lacy Chunky Throw - Any help? yarnforward How-to Questions 4 12-23-2008 05:21 PM
Help: Finishing a "Star"/Lacy Dishcloth ChemGiant How-to Questions 1 08-21-2008 01:33 PM
Knitting Knonsense "Knitted Lacy Round Cloth" mrs.slavinsky How-to Questions 1 05-27-2008 11:49 AM
help! need "modern" throw/afghan pattern knithappens Pattern Central 9 03-18-2006 02:11 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.