Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
MissTiggy1985
Casting On

Hiya... Newbie here needing a little help...
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if I can have some advice?

I have just started knitting (and loving it!!), and I am a little comfused by the instructions in the pattern, what does - K3 , inc in next st,*K4, inc in next st, rep from * to last 4 sts, K4... 141 sts mean?

I am scared I am gonna either repeat something I shouldn't, or drop something I shouldn't. Please help? Oh... I'm knitting a beret btw if that helps... thank you
MissTiggy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Increase IN a stitch is the same as kfb (knit into the front and back of the next stitch. So for this row, k3, kfb, then repeat the instructions inside the *s - k4, kfb - until you have 4 sts left and knit 4. You'll have 141 sts at the end of the row because you've been increasing.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
shadowfox118
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to shadowfox118
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Increase IN a stitch is the same as kfb (knit into the front and back of the next stitch. So for this row, k3, kfb, then repeat the instructions inside the *s - k4, kfb - until you have 4 sts left and knit 4. You'll have 141 sts at the end of the row because you've been increasing.
Could it mean Make 1? I was wondering that
.........♥ ..♥...........
shadowfox118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Originally Posted by MissTiggy1985 View Post
I have just started knitting (and loving it!!), and I am a little comfused by the instructions in the pattern, what does - K3 , inc in next st,*K4, inc in next st, rep from * to last 4 sts, K4... 141 sts mean?
Welcome to Knitting Help, Miss Tiggy! Don't be scared, we all had to learn some time and it's like learning a new language...so confusing and makes no sense at first. Thank you for telling us what you're making..that is always helpful and if you can include the pattern name and a link if possible that's always good, too. If you can't link you can type out a few lines of the pattern just like you did.. perfect.

When you increase IN the next stitch you'll usually be doing what is known as a KFB (knit front back). There is a video for it under the increase videos linked above. You knit into the stitch like normal, but don't take it off as you usually do. While it's still on the needles you knit into the back of the stitch, wrap the yarn and pull it through then take the new stitches off like normal. It's clearer once you see the video. Just do the increases as the pattern tells you. When you are done with that row you should have 141 stitches.

I recommend you put markers at the increases if possible. I don't have a link to the pattern so I can't see how they are done, but markers make it much easier to remember where they are in most patterns. If they are always random then it will be harder so you need to keep track of your stitch count.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
MissTiggy1985
Casting On

Hello Suzeeq...

Thank you so much for the advice... really helpful, just hope I don't muck it up! lol

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
MissTiggy1985
Casting On

Originally Posted by shadowfox118 View Post
Hello lady...

I am getting there... slowly but surely... Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
MissTiggy1985
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Welcome to Knitting Help, Miss Tiggy! Don't be scared, we all had to learn some time and it's like learning a new language...so confusing and makes no sense at first. Thank you for telling us what you're making..that is always helpful and if you can include the pattern name and a link if possible that's always good, too. If you can't link you can type out a few lines of the pattern just like you did.. perfect.

When you increase IN the next stitch you'll usually be doing what is known as a KFB (knit front back). There is a video for it under the increase videos linked above. You knit into the stitch like normal, but don't take it off as you usually do. While it's still on the needles you knit into the back of the stitch, wrap the yarn and pull it through then take the new stitches off like normal. It's clearer once you see the video. Just do the increases as the pattern tells you. When you are done with that row you should have 141 stitches.

I recommend you put markers at the increases if possible. I don't have a link to the pattern so I can't see how they are done, but markers make it much easier to remember where they are in most patterns. If they are always random then it will be harder so you need to keep track of your stitch count.
Thank you so much... all this advise is brilliant. Gonna check out the vid just now to make sure I get it right... many thanks again.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Some people use make 1 for any old increase, but M1 is a specific inc where you lift the yarn between stitches from the row below. Increasing IN a stitch uses one of the sts for the increase and if you sub one for another you might not end up with the right number of stitches or the incs are in the wrong place.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
shadowfox118
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to shadowfox118
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Some people use make 1 for any old increase, but M1 is a specific inc where you lift the yarn between stitches from the row below. Increasing IN a stitch uses one of the sts for the increase and if you sub one for another you might not end up with the right number of stitches or the incs are in the wrong place.
Ohhhhhhhhhh that makes sense
.........♥ ..♥...........
shadowfox118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
MissTiggy1985
Casting On

Hello again,

Thanks again to you all, I watched the vids and took your advice and it has worked. Very pleased.

Thanks again, and if I need more help I know where to come, you guys are awesome!.