Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
willow1982
Casting On

New to knitting and confused already...
Hi there I'm a relative newbie to knitting and thought a wonderful way to start would be to knit my dog a jumper.. It looks easy enough I thought.. Well im on the 3rd row and confused already!! Lol. It's a basic 2x2 rib pattern mostly, but on the 3rd line for the pattern it says "(buttonhole row)(RS) *P2, K2, rep from * to last 6 sts, P1, P2tog, yrn/yo twice, P2tog, P1"

However, the confusing bit is can I really fit all those last stitches onto the remaining 6 stitches?! I seem to run out and just cannot work it out at all... I'm sorry if I sound rather stupid, and thank you in advance for any help x
willow1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH and to knitting!

Although it looks like your stitches won't all fit, they indeed will. A P2tog uses two stitches to make 1 stitch, and yo's or (also called in this pattern "yrn/yo") do not use a stitch to make a stitch. So you will be wrapping the yarn around the needle twice. Also note: Since these yo's come before a purl stitch, you'll need to wrap the yarn in the same way that you wrap it to make a purl stitch.

Take a look at this video if you need a refresher re: yos: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...er-continental
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
That's pretty ambitious for a newbie, but not impossible. Can you give a pattern name and a link?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
willow1982
Casting On

Thank you Antares I thought the yrn/yo was the stitch where you create 2 stitches from 1! Hence the confusion!

I've realised how ambitious it is now jan, lol, although I think I'll stick at it until I've finished even if it won't me till Christmas till she has it, lol, I don't have the link for the pattern as I got it from a library book.. It's called Doggy Knits, by Anna Tillman if that's any help... Chose the button up sweater pattern as I thought it would be the easiest! How wrong I was... I'm enjoying it though
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Is it this one?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sour...riend/patterns

Those are cute sweaters! I bookmarked it so I'll remember if I get another doggie. Mine died a few months ago. :(

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
willow1982
Casting On

This one... http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sour...erfect-pooches

I thought it looked easy.. !! At least I managed to get past the first button hole now thanks to you! I'll be back on tomorrow when I'm stuck on the next part...

I'm knitting it for my miniature jack Russell, poppy, she's a rescue dog, and had a pretty bad start in life, so want to make sure she's spoilt rotten now! I'm sorry to hear about your dog :( not sure what id do without one of mine..
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Oh those are super cute, too! Your dog will be adorable in it!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Don't forget to share a pic off your pooch when you're done. I got into knitting because I was needing dog sweaters for my pups also.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote