Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

Anyone remember my struggle with socks?
Does anyone remember what a struggle I had with making my first pair of socks? Then I was so happy when I finally finished them? Well with the beautiful weather it didn't really put me in the knitting mood.

The other night it got a little chilly and I put the socks on. I then threw them in the laundry and without thinking I put them in the dryer. Now they are so tiny LOL oh lordy, guess I'll have to make another pair haha do NOT put wool in the dryer. Duh!

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Oh no, that's a bummer.

What kind of yarn did you use? I've used superwash wool and washed and dried them fine...at least the one I used. I put them in a laundry bag so they didn't get caught on anything.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I'm pretty sure it was alpaca. When i did ten I went to the store and the lady helped me pick out the yarn for the pattern I had. There were only two options from what I remember

My Ravelry
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Oh, dear!

If you're going to use animal fiber for socks, superwash is the only kind to use. We live in a really wet area and anything wool felts when you wear it, which is okay for big thick boot socks but not so when you knit something lacy or cabled. There's a lot of fun sock yarn around that won't shrink up.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I just got back from the store and bought different yarn, the woman helped me and told me I could wash the kind of yarn she gave me. Thanks god! I will attempt socks again with the same pattern.

My Ravelry
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
Does anyone remember what a struggle I had with making my first pair of socks? Then I was so happy when I finally finished them? Well with the beautiful weather it didn't really put me in the knitting mood.

The other night it got a little chilly and I put the socks on. I then threw them in the laundry and without thinking I put them in the dryer. Now they are so tiny LOL oh lordy, guess I'll have to make another pair haha do NOT put wool in the dryer. Duh!

I do,and you were rightfully proud of your first pair , and OH NO about the dryer!

I'm so glad to hear you got some superwash wool for your next pair to knit. And this time around I'll wager the knitting goes much easier.

Have fun knitting up your new socks!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Oh no! We've all done it on something/s. Sorry it was on your first, proud pair of socks!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Becks
Casting On

Originally Posted by amy View Post
Oh no! We've all done it on something/s. Sorry it was on your first, proud pair of socks!
I've only ever attempted socks once in my life and that was when I was 11....a looong time ago lol.
My primary school teacher had the patience of a saint but even I managed to stretch her patience!
In the end she made my socks for me - at parents & teachers evening my mother said my name and a voice from across the classroom said "Oh THAT SOCK!" I was totally mortified lol.
I have some lovely patterns for socks but just haven't been able to make them. Now I'm a grandma I've made a lot of toys, cardi's jumpers, hats you name it I've probably made it but socks? nope.
Maybe I should add "socks" to my Bucket List lol
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Wow, that's a heartbreaker. I have some Noro sock yarn that I have not knit up yet for that very reason. You have to hand wash it. At least you get to knit more.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I looked back at the yarn I used, I don't know where I got the idea that they were alpaca??? They aren't! Anyway I have picked up some new yarn at the advice of the lady at the store. They can be washed and dried without shrinking. Now to get the nerve to try socks again. I am scared to try any other pattern then the ones I first did.

My Ravelry