Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
The inside of the tube will be the purl bumps, but the ends will be seamed together so you won't see them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
knittoknit (10-08-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
knittoknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, so then I"m doing it correctly you think? I did do the provisional cast on but not sure if I am going to leave it or start over with regular cast on if I decide to take it apart. I thought it was going to look like knits on both sides like the pic appears to so not sure what to do. Is there a stitch that gives you's v's on both sides? You know just remembered I have a scarf that does, not sure they do that.
knittoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

No, there's not a way to do that except double knit. That's a whole other technique. You need to give the tube time to develop. In the beginning you see the purl bumps a lot, but after awhile you'll only see them on that end that's gets seamed or grafted. It sounds like you're doing the correct thing so I'd keep going for a bit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
knittoknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, I'll keep going with it. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you joined and have a tube, then when it's flattened out, the knits will be on both 'sides'. You should have knits on the outside of the tube and purls (the bumps) on the inside. Maybe you just need to work a few more inches.

The only way to get knits on both sides is to knit a tube like you're doing, or double knitting which creates a closed tube. You can also do k1 p1 ribbing and it draws together so it looks like knits on both sides.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I just thought of something... are you knitting inside out? In other words are you knitting on the inside of the tube? If you are then the purl bumps will show on the outside. When you're holding the needles they should be close to your body and the circle of knitting, the tube, should be away.

See how she's holding them here? -
http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/K...dle__D116.html

If that's not the way you're holding the needles that could be the problem. I'm not sure, but I think you can flip it right side out and continue w/o having to restart.

I know it's frustrating, but keep trying. We all had to learn some time and we all still make mistakes.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
knittoknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Well I know I'm doing that part correct now lol, thanks for the video, that helped. You know I didn't put a stitch marker, is that going to be a problem? I've only got three rows on now so if I have to take them out it won't be that bad. Thanks again for your help and encouragement!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

If the stitch marker is only for the start of the round then don't worry about it. You can use the tail if for some reason you need to know. I can't imagine why you would since it's now endless rows of knit, knit, knit!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can put the beginning of round marker on the needle now if you want. Find the tail, then follow up to the needle and put it next to that stitch. But for a pattern like this, it probably doesn't matter, you just knit around and around and there's no shaping or change of stitch pattern, so you can get away without one.

And if you only have 3 rounds knit, yeah, you can see both the knit and purl side. Give it another 4" or so and it'll look more like the picture. Knitting takes at least an inch or 2 for it to look 'right'.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
knittoknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks you guys for the help. It does look much better now!