Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Many truly left handed knitters knit "right handed". Some use continental method where you carry the yarn in your left hand, some use the English method where you carry the yarn in your right hand. Of all the knitters I know personally only one truly knits left handed.

And yes, if you are truly a left handed knitter there are some websites for technique.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
rimna
Casting On

Send a message via Skype™ to rimna
The needle in my left hand is empty and the needle in my right hand has the stitches on it. I manipulate the stitches with the empty needle in my left hand off of the needle in my right hand.

When I knit a stitch I put the needle in the stitch from right to the left. When I purl I put the needle in the stitch from the left to the right. From what I understand this makes me a true left-handed knitter.

I'll check out the continental videos but I have a difficult time with picking up the yarn when I try this method.
rimna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, you're a true lefthanded knitter. You'd probably only need to swap the decreases, or just make sure that you get left and right leaning decreases as appropriate. There's a group at ravelry.com called On the Other Hand where you can probably get some tips.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
rimna
Casting On

Thanks - I'll check them out.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Glad you worked out the knitted purse. How lovely to have and use your grandmother's needles.
I'm a committed leftie who knits right-handed. I enjoyed these reflections on left-handed knitting.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
rimna
Casting On

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information.

I wanted to knit something using my grandmother's needles and with them being so small - size 0 - I chose a small project. Little did I know that I would make a small mistake that made such a big problem.

I can't imagine knitting sweaters with these needles especially with Scandinavian designs like my grandmother did but it is satisfying to use her needles even for a small project.

Thanks again,
rimna
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by rimna View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information.

I wanted to knit something using my grandmother's needles and with them being so small - size 0 - I chose a small project. Little did I know that I would make a small mistake that made such a big problem.

I can't imagine knitting sweaters with these needles especially with Scandinavian designs like my grandmother did but it is satisfying to use her needles even for a small project.

Thanks again,
rimna
I've been following this thread and I'm glad you got it figured out; I couldn't find anything helpful to add. It's a small thing like that that can really make everything come out wrong and be such a pain. A bigger, more obvious error would have been easier to spot. Little things can be such a problem sometimes.

Using your grandmother's needles is awesome. I like to think that someday one of my grandkids would like to use mine.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote