Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
tgee12
Ribbing the Cuff

Understanding "turn"
Hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to understand 2 things: I'm working on a relatively simple pattern for baby booties, but the pattern calls for two ways to work the stitches that I'm not familiar with. One, is the turn. Everything before that I am comfortable with, but then I'm instructed for the instep, to k16, turn, p8, turn, and continues this way until the instep measures 1.5 inches then end on a purl row. I have no idea how to "turn" a stitch...when I got to that point in the pattern, I turned my work (around) so that the needles are in opposite hands, but I don't know how to knit from that point and not have the obvious gaping hole!! Any help, or a link would be soooo appreciated! The other thing (which comes next in the pattern) slip all stitches from left needle to right, then knit 8 stitches, then pick up 8 stitches from edge ( of instep). The pattern goes on like this until 40 stitches, then goes back to knitting as I understand it! Again, if anyone could offer some help, instruction or even a link here at KH, it would be so helpful. Thanks so much...
tgee12 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You're right about the turn--just switch hands. You won't have the problem of the hole the way you would in short rows since you're only working the center 8 stitches for the top of the foot.

Later on you usually pick up the stitches along the side of the instep (the little strip you just knitted), across the existing 8 stitches at the top of the instep, and then down the other side. This connects the top of the bootie to the sole.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
Yes, as Ingrid says this is an often used pattern for baby booties. This video uses a similar pattern and orients you for the instep and picking up stitches on the sides of the instep. It uses 11sts where you have 8sts but is otherwise similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HipHVEsLI0
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote