Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
rimna
Casting On

Send a message via Skype™ to rimna
Crooked Knitted Piece
Hi everyone,

I know this is weird but I knitted a piece that I was going to fold and sew to make a small purse in stockinette stitch and there is a
.25 inch difference from top to bottom on each side. I put a stripe in the piece and it's off - goes diagonal slightly. I blocked the piece but it's still off by .25 inch.

I used an old pair of #0 double-point needles (it's a set of 4 but I only used 2) that originally belonged to my grandmother - she brought them to the US when she imigrated from Finnland at the turn of the last century. My mother says that my grandmother knit many many items with these needles. She made clothing with Scandinavian designs so if there was a difference it would have shown in the clothing for sure but I've seen some of the stuff she made and there isn't.

I used Vanna's Glamour Yarn which is a weight category 2 - sport yarn. It's 96% acrylic and 4% metallic polyester.

I have measured, rolled, and put the needles through my gauge checker but I can't find any anomalies. They have been stored with other needles in a box for years. Has anyone ever run into this type siutation? Any suggestions?

Thank,
rimna
rimna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's nothing to do with the needles, might be the yarn, or could be how you do your stitches. You might purl looser than you knit, so that could cause a little bit of difference. Also check to see that you have the same number of sts at cast on, bind off. If you can do a couple more posts, you'll be able to post a picture of it, which is really the only way we can see what you do.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
Is it possible that you did an inadvertant short row somewhere in the piece? If you put it down at some point and then started again in the wrong direction, it might skew the piece. If this happened you might be ablt to see it by inspecting the rows or counting the rows at each end.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
rimna
Casting On

Suzeeq and Salmonmac - I squared the piece to the table under the towel. The second picture is hard to see folded but it really shows the difference. I thought the needle guide might help put it in perspective.

I checked my CO and BO and they match. I have never had a problem with the difference between my knitting and purling before so I'm leaning towards inadvertantly doing a half row which hadn't crossed my mind. The stitches are tiny and the black yarn was difficult to see even in the best of light. But if that's what I did, I must have done it more than once to get a .25 inch difference don't you think?

Thanks,
rimna
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-21 14-52-44.914 (800x453).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	56148  Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-21 14-54-57.088 (640x363).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	56149  
Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well, if you turned in the middle of a row and reknit some of the sts, that would actually be over 2 rows, so that's close to a quarter inch if your row gauge is 7-8 rows per inch.

It looks like your BO is tight in the picture on the left, that could account for part of it, and maybe your tension changed as you went along - looser at first and getting tighter about halfway through. The lower edge seems very even from the CO edge to the end of the stripes, then seems to 'shrink' in. So maybe you were knitting looser during the color changes and tightened up later.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
rimna
Casting On

The measurement going crosswise - with the stripes - is the same all the way across. The edge rolled under when I took the picture.

The bind off wasn't extrememly tight but I did have to pay attention and try to stay loose. Is there a way to prevent a tight bind off? Thanks,

rimna
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
There are some stretchy bind offs but you can also just use a one or two sizes larger needle in your right hand when you bind off.
Actually the purse looks very good and may just square up a bit more with blocking.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, I can understand the edge would have curled. Yeah, just try the BO with a larger needle, that should help. Then block it out flat and it should square up then.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
rimna
Casting On

I started pulling the purse apart and about half way I found a row that I did start the wrong way when I picked it up to continue knitting. Looks more square now but I think I'm going to block it again before pulling out more rows to see if there's another mistake.

The stretchy bind off looks terrific I can't wait to try it. I make leg warmers for my niece and granddaughter and this bind off will make a huge difference. Thanks for the link.

You're both moderators - I have a question. I am a left-handed knitter but still find this site very helpful. It takes a bit of 'reverse' thinking but I usually can figure out the left-handed version but has it ever been considered to include left-handed knitting videos on the site?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

When you say 'left handed' do you mean that you work the sts off the right needle to an empty left needle? The videos were made by and feature Amy the owner and she's primarily a continental knitter. If you search posts, I thinks there's a link to a lefthanded knitting site which may have videos, and I think Youtube has a few as well.