Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
purpleldy1
Casting On

What are your favorite Needles and Why.
As a newbie. I bought a bulk set of various styles of needles on Ebay. It consists of mostly metal. I like how easily the yarn glides on and off of the metal needles but as a newbie I find it frustrating with the DpN. I have one set of circulars in a plastic material but they stitches don't flow as well, but I do like knitting without the needles catching on my sleeves, chair arms and anything else to the side of me. I haven't tried wood or bamboo and I don't know what brands they are except the DpN are Aero. What Needles are your favorite, and Why? Should I buy a sampler set? Help a Newbie out.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
I like the interchangeable sets from Knit Picks http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Kni...__L300301.html and WEBS http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-ne...able-circular/. Both offer sampler sets that include tips of the various materials. Right now I'm trying to convince myself I can afford to order a set of the wood interchangeables. I like the way the wood feels but mainly the points seem sharper on them than on the metal ones; otherwise I like them both. I don't like acrylic.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Best thing is type in interchangeable needles in the KH search box. There are already a ton of threads.

You'll find some interchangeables have a much better cable than others. The sample set is a good idea.

Knitpicks - i have a couple sets of nickel plated Options that I love. Have also used the wood Harmony and those are nice, too. Affordable.

Addi Turbo- I have several pairs of these and like them a lot. Expensive.

Denise- nice set, but I personally don't care for plastic and don't like the cable. Lots of people love them though. Affordable.

Hiya Hiya - haven't used them, but have friends who live them. Don't know the price point.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
This is so much a matter or personal opinion although as Jan recommends, there's lots of good advice in previous posts. I like the nickel-plated needles myself but not in dpns. A grabbier needle, e.g. bamboo, works better for me in that case. Try as many different kinds as you can till you learn which you prefer and for which yarn type.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
PearlB3
Casting On

I like the nickle plated and harmony-wood circular ones from knit picks.
PearlB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

The ones I'm using at the time ...
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
kelbel
Casting On

I like using the bamboo ones. They seem to grip the yarn better for me. Metal ones also lose their pretty coating and slip around too much!
kelbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
londonleo
Casting On

Addi click
well, to me it's a combination of personal preference and project.

most of the time i go for circular needles with metal tips.
'prym' metal circulars - good tips and the transition to the cable is even. soft cables too.
'pony' - no! no! no!... cheap but nasty.
'addi click' - my favourite! all addis are nice and I had some before I got the basic set the other day. the click system is very reliable and one can connect and disconnect tips and needles in 2sec... no fiddle, no screwing in/out... just click it. not cheap, but a real joy.

there are also benefits to bamboo needles. such like that it makes less 'clickediclick' noise while knitting. good if one likes to knit and watch movies at the same time. also while working with very soft yarn it can be helpful if the needles have more grip, so avoid needles sliding out to easily... especially when making socks etc where one needle is unsupported while knitting.

over all - i vote for addi. - they also do a starter kit (metal tips only) so one could try and than add bamboo or lace tips to test.
londonleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I recommend KnitPicks "Harmony" interchangeable circular needles to a new knitter.

They are slick and quick, but not overly so. Affordable piece by piece...or as a set.

Being an admitted needle hound, I've purchased bulk circular knitting needles, mixed batches various brands, some no brand at all, for dirt cheap from Ebay, and come upon some sets that remain personal favs.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by londonleo View Post
well, to me it's a combination of personal preference and project.

most of the time i go for circular needles with metal tips.
'prym' metal circulars - good tips and the transition to the cable is even. soft cables too.
'pony' - no! no! no!... cheap but nasty.
'addi click' - my favourite! all addis are nice and I had some before I got the basic set the other day. the click system is very reliable and one can connect and disconnect tips and needles in 2sec... no fiddle, no screwing in/out... just click it. not cheap, but a real joy.

there are also benefits to bamboo needles. such like that it makes less 'clickediclick' noise while knitting. good if one likes to knit and watch movies at the same time. also while working with very soft yarn it can be helpful if the needles have more grip, so avoid needles sliding out to easily... especially when making socks etc where one needle is unsupported while knitting.

over all - i vote for addi. - they also do a starter kit (metal tips only) so one could try and than add bamboo or lace tips to test.
I like my Addi Clicks but I don't like the join. I am knitting a smoke ring for my daughter-in-law using the addi clicks and the lace weight yarn keeps catching on the join. I have to fiddle with the yarn to get it up and over the lip of the needle join area especially on the pattern row. If it has yarnovers in it they catch on that lip of metall.