Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Bind-off question
EVERY time I knit a ribbed scarf and bind off at the end, the bind off end ALWAYS ends up flared out and doesn't look like the cast-on end.

Last night I finished up a K3 P3 scarf and bound off the sts in pattern. I even K2 tog occasionally, thinking that would narrow the end so it wouldn't flare out. DIDN'T WORK!!!!

Does anyone have some hints/tips as to how to stop this from happening??? This happens every single time I knit a rib scarf.

Thank you!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

No matter what you do, a standard CO and BO will never look the same.
ALso, the BO stitch will always look flat.

Binding off is a two step process where you first work the sts from the L hand needle, and then you BO (pass a st over) from the R hand needle. Even if you work the sts off of the L hand needle in pattern (ribbing in this case) when you do the BO (pass st over) from the R needle it will create a flat looking st along the very edge.

That being said...
There are lots of different COs and BOs. You can look and you may find ones that you like better or looks more like each other.
Also, if you BO on the ws, that flat st/edge will roll toward the ws and be less visible from the rs.

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 11-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
A method I've used that will make both ends match is to start with an invisible cast on. Then when you're done put those stitches on your needle and bind off that end.

You can try using a smaller needle to bind off or choose a different one. I also suggest binding off in knits and purls to match your pattern. It really does look nicer.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
You can essentially avoid the flare if you consistenly k2 tog. You don't have to do it with every stitch but try doing it once in every set of k3 and once in each p3 all across the row as you bind off.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I do a bind off in the regular way except purl all the stitches instead of knitting them. Then my cast off looks the same as the cast on. It's also about the same width and doesn't flare out. It's not in any of the knitting books and would probably make a knitting instructor cringe, but it works for me.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I do a bind off in the regular way except purl all the stitches instead of knitting them. Then my cast off looks the same as the cast on. It's also about the same width and doesn't flare out. It's not in any of the knitting books and would probably make a knitting instructor cringe, but it works for me.
I also Purl instead of Knit when I BO.......... But for me it only works if I BO on the WS of my work. It really does look so much nicer.
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote