Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
proudmomma77
Casting On

Not sure what I did wrong!! Help!!
I am knitting a hat on circular needles, and all was going well and was getting close to being finished, when as I'm knitting in the round getting closer to my stitch marker, I notice to the left of it is a huge loop stuck in the back of my knitting! Not sure what I did. tried fixing it, but I think I only made it worse. I really don't want to rip it all out as I am so close to being finished. I only started knitting the first of the year so I'm still kinda new to all this. I wish I could post a picture so it will be clear what I am talking about. I started to work in reverse, putting everything, undoing my round and putting everything on the left needle until I got to where it all went wrong, but I think I will leave it til morning. Hope someone can help with this :(
proudmomma77 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
How big is the loop? Could you have accidentally slipped a few stitches w/o knitting them? If you did that and then when you brought th yarn across to knit it would leave a loop.

The way I'd handle this would be to tink back (unknit one stitch at a time) till you get to the mistake and then you can fix it.

If you can take a picture that would help.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
proudmomma77 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

The good news is that you probably won't have to rip out everything. You certainly will want to either rip or tink back past the mistake, but you should be able to leave all the stitches below on the hook.

You might check out the fixing mistakes videos (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips -- scroll down to find it) to see if any of these look like your mistake.

Most of all, don't despair! You can fix this without having to start over!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
proudmomma77
Casting On

I probably did slip a stitch, it's not really that huge of a loop lol. It is the first stitch of the round, and I guess I was getting in a hurry to finish. I will try the suggestions and undo all 88 stitches (ugh!) until I get to the mistake. Thanks for the help. I think I will wait til the morning and start fresh
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,347 Times in 3,031 Posts
If it's a relatively small loop, it probably was a slipped st or a knit st that didn't. You can un-knit or tink back and this video may help (although you have a few more sts to tink than she does). It'll be worth it when you do finish.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
proudmomma77
Casting On

Well that wasn't too bad!! I tinked all the way back to the beginning of my work, and the loop disappeared. I was worried there for a bit. Thanks to all for your help. That video showing the right way to tink helped tremendously and made it go by a lot quicker that what I used to do. I would just remove the knitted stitch first before inserting the left-hand needle, which resulted in a lot of dropped stitches. Thank you so much! Now to finish up that hat...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

What you may have done is positioned the yarn incorrectly. There are tons of videos out there on magic loop. But not one of them shows you where to place your yarn. I had to figure that out myself. Every time you switch needles, be sure the yarn is BETWEEN the two needles, or coming from the inside of the tube. If your yarn is placed behind the back needle, you'll end up with an unwanted yarn over between the last stitch of the round and the first. I suspect this is what happened.