Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
audrina13
Casting On

Help ! Has anyone tried Bellissima Mittens pattern from Vampire Knits by Genevieve Miller ?
Hi everyone

If anyone has tried the above pattern and can give me some help I would be really grateful.

I am stuck so far at the note at the bottom of page 20;

"As Bias Ribbing pattern progresses, you will need to shift stitches between Needles 2 and 3 to compensate for increases and decreases in stitch pattern."

BUT: it's not telling me

a) How many stitches should I be shifting each round ?
b) Should I be switching them from Needle 2 to 3, or 3 to 2 ?

I have tried a number of different combinations and it keeps going wrong. I am going mental !!!

If anyone has done this pattern and can give me a hand, that would be so great.

Thanks

audrina13
audrina13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
You may need to quote the few lines of the bias ribbing for someone to help out. If it's truly a bias pattern where you increase on one side and decrease on the other, I would guess that you may shift stitches from the increase edge onto the next needle. A few lines will help, not the entire pattern please.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
audrina13
Casting On

Ok...here is a piece of the pattern.
Thanks for the advice. Here is a bit of the pattern. This is a pair of mittens worked on 3 double pointed needles in the round, and this is the cuff section of the mitten;

"ESTABLISH PATTERN
Needle 1; Horseshoe Cable pattern
Needles 2 and 3; 1x1 Bias Ribbing pattern

Note: As Bias Ribbing pattern progresses, you will need to shift stitches between Needles 2 and 3 to compensate for increases and decreases in stitch pattern. Work 4-5 repeats of the Horseshoe Cable Panel to desired cuff lengths.

1x1 BIAS RIBBING;
Rounds 1-4: *K1, P1, repeat from * to last stitch
Round 5: K2tog, *K1 P1, repeat from * to last stitch
Round 6: K2tog, *(P1, K1), repeat from * to last stitch

HORSESHOE CABLE PANEL;
Rounds 1-4: P1, K12, P1
Round 5: P1, C6F, C6B
Round6: P1, K12, P1

Repeat rounds 1-6 for pattern."

So, I am working a 37 stitch round, where the first 14 stitches are the Horseshoe Cable Panel and the last 23 are the Bias Ribbing pattern. Somewhere between rounds 5 and 6 it keeps going wrong, which is after the decrease-increase part. The pattern isn't clear how many stitches I should shift and in which direction. Or maybe I am just being dense ?!

Any help would be much appreciated !!

Thanks,

audrina13
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

When you do the bias rib, there's a k2tog at the beginning of rounds 5 and 6 but I don't see any increases in this pattern. If the sts on needle 2 keep decreasing with each round 5 and 6, you could more sts from needle 3 to needle 2. I would move them so that you're always starting needle 3 with a knit st (just a personal preference).
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
audrina13
Casting On

Mis-type
Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I mis-typed something.

For Rounds 5 and 6, under the Bias Ribbing section, there should be a Kfb at the end of the rows.

So the Bias Ribbing section of the pattern is as follows;

Rounds 1-4: *K1, P1, repeat from * to last stitch
Round 5: K2tog, *K1, P1, repeat from * to last stitch, Kfb
Round 6: K2tog, *(P1, K1), repeat from * to last stitch, Kfb

The mittens are not decreasing each round, but I still can't figure out why it's going wrong. Round 5 always comes out fine, but when I start Round 6, the bias ribs are never lined up the way they should be....hence the confusion over how many stitches to shift and in which direction.

Any ideas ?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

OK, I wouldn't worry about shifting sts between needles. If you decrease one stitch at the beginning of the row and increase one at the end then the stitch count on needles 2 and 3 will stay the same. So just leave those sts where they are. (If you start moving them you'll need a marker to show you where the k2togs are.)
If you k2tog on round 5, you're knitting the first k1p1 together. On round 6 you'll knit together the first st on the needle with the next k1 so you start the rib pattern as it says with a p1k1 etc. Probably the easiest way to do it is to just look at your sts, k2tog at the start of the needle and then knit the knits (the Vs) and purl the purls (bumps). That way you'll be sure to continue the column of sts for the rib correctly. The next to the last picture here shows the join between the cable and the bias rib.
A similar thing is going to happen at the other end of the needle when you increase one st. On round 6 you'll have to incorporate that stitch into the k1p1 rib pattern.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
audrina13
Casting On

Yay !
Thanks so much, this has worked !!!!

I didn't move any stitches at all, and with bated breath, watched as it unfolded, all lined up and pretty.

That's me out of a fix for now. But it's early days with this pattern....you never know.

Thanks so much for all your help, salmonmac, I really appreciate it
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Ah, great! I look forward to seeing the finished mittens.