Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
neulon
Casting On

working from cast off sts... on a dog coat
Hello all, I am a beginner knitter, having only done one scarf. Right now I am attempting this project, a cargo pocket dog coat. I have just finished step 6, which is to purl 1 row, and am set to begin the leg openings. I am making a size large coat.

First question - The last row that I purled from step 6 was onto the RS, so now there is a row of purl set against the knitted work. I'm assuming this is right for the leg openings?

Second (main) question: Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. I am guessing this refers to the leg edging, but really don't have much of a clue. After the stitches are cast off in step 1, step 2 says to beg with a purl row. Does this mean to work on the 56 stitches that remained after casting off?

Third question: Leg edging - so of course there are two leg openings. It instructs, "with first double pointed needle, "pick up and knit 7". What does pick up mean exactly? Is this where I use the "separate ball of yarn"? And then a second double pointed needle is to "pick up and knit 10". Is this second needle for the second leg opening, or is it for the opposite side of the opening?

Right now I am so confused about this, I don't even know how to put all my questions into words.. so please if someone can provide some clarification, hopefully I can figure out where this is going.
neulon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
Hi and welcome!
This sweater is knit in stockinette or stocking stitch so the knit rows are the right side and the purl rows, the wrong side. Step 6 should be a purl row on the wrong side and you should now be ready to begin a knit row on the right side.

Second (main) question: Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. I am guessing this refers to the leg edging, but really don't have much of a clue. After the stitches are cast off in step 1, step 2 says to beg with a purl row. Does this mean to work on the 56 stitches that remained after casting off?
For the large size you begin on the knit row and knit 7, cast off 6, knit 56, cast off 6 and knit to the end so you have two areas of cast off sts and 3sections of sts on the needle. Now you're ready to purl back across to the leg opening, drop the working yarn, attach a new ball of yarn and work the middle 56sts, drop the working yarn, attach a new ball or end of yarn and purl the last 7sts.

Third question: Leg edging - so of course there are two leg openings. It instructs, "with first double pointed needle, "pick up and knit 7". What does pick up mean exactly? Is this where I use the "separate ball of yarn"? And then a second double pointed needle is to "pick up and knit 10". Is this second needle for the second leg opening, or is it for the opposite side of the opening?
There's a video for picking up sts under the Free Videos at the top of the page. You'll put new sts onto the needle or pick up sts around one leg opening first and when that's finished do the other leg opening. Don't worry about the finishing steps for the moment. You can ask again about this when you get there.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
neulon
Casting On

Thanks, so now I have the leg openings off the needle and am ready to purl back across the row with the three separate strands. But how do I attach them?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

You have the yarn in place to purl the first set of stitches and when finished with them drop the yarn. Then you'll start the new end of yarn for the middle 56sts. You can just hold the tail of the yarn (about 6 inches) in place with you left thumb and start purling with the new strand of yarn. The first stitch or so will be loose but don't worry about it, you can always give a little tug to the tail and that will tighten up the stitch. Later, you'll weave in the tails of yarn. At the end of the section drop the yarn and start a new strand of yarn the same way for the final set of sts. You'l keep doing this working across all 3 sections separately until they measure the required inches.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
neulon
Casting On

Okay so now that I have the leg sections done, on to the joining row, I am to K5 and then "turn and cast on 6 sts." [i]Note[i] that on the site linked it does not say to turn, but the book I'm working from mentions this. So I am pretty clear that it literally means to turn around the needle with the stitches and cast on. But am I now working with just the one original strand, correct?

Forgot to mention! For the joining row it is supposed to start on the right side, but if I'm supposed to be using the original strand now.. it is all the way at the other end of the needle, and the strand at the beginning for the right side is from a small ball I made for the attached yarn.. it will not last to the end of the project. :/
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Very good. For the cast on you can turn and take the needle that's been in you right hand and put it in your left hand and knit cast on or use the single loop cast on (see the videos on the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Cast Ons).
Work across with this small ball of yarn until you get to the main ball of yarn. Cross the current working yarn over the strand from the large ball and continue knitting with the large ball yarn.

Last edited by salmonmac : 11-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
neulon
Casting On

Thank-you for the help so far. I have now gotten to the point where I need to do the finnishing (sew neck seam) and the back ribbing. For the back ribbing, I am to "pick up and knit along body from marker to back". What does it mean to pick up and knit?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I don't think anyone explains and demonstrates it better than Amy. http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...-knit-stitches

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote