Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
That's where I got the patterrn. Had some difficulties with the wording on the armhole shaping for the back. Finally got it and the fronts went much easier.
The sweater is done in charcoal using "Shepard's Wool" made here in Michigan. It's not "fluffy" like the yarn shown in the picture, but then my daughter isn't the fluffy kind of woman.
I think that is every knitter's toughest step.....deciphering the language and expressions in the pattern itself! It's not the actual DOING of the knitting.....it's UNDERSTANDING what you're supposed to do!

I finally quit knitting the sweaters of one of my all time favorite Swedish designers. She writes up her designs in Swedish, but somewhere in the translation....things go awry. Plus, you can always count on errata, especially if the design is newly released. Gah! I was ALWAYS scratching my head...."is this just a language thing....or is this an error?"

I'm sure your daughter's sweater will turn out beautifully in the Shepard's Wool. It will last longer, wearing well without a thousand pills that age a sweater prematurely.

Be sure to post final photos for us, eh?

And, what is your Ravelry handle? Or, if you'd prefer not to publicize it, 'friend' me over there....I'll friend you back!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
nittineedles
Casting On

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Malabrigo Merino (natural white) will turn your wash pan water to a mocha color from the hidden filth that still lingers inside the yarn, prolly from the fields where the animals rolled around!
That's disgusting! If I should ever buy that I will wash it before I use it.

It's not so bad when I'm picking through a raw fleece, you expect that but not at Malabrigo prices.
nittineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by nittineedles View Post
That's disgusting! If I should ever buy that I will wash it before I use it.

It's not so bad when I'm picking through a raw fleece, you expect that but not at Malabrigo prices.
Oh let me show you my photos! You're gonna die!

This is my "natural, un-dyed" Malabrigo yarn, all wound up in a nice neat cake!

This is the "wash water" after I had soaked and slightly swished the Fronts and Back of my Viveca cardigan. The 2rd "rinse" (after the wash) finally came "clear"...no murkiness.

This is my Viveca cardigan...blocked and seamed! Cast-on to final photo was July 23-Sept 7...not long at all.

Who knew that so much dirt was hiding inside the fibers of that beautiful white "cake" of Malabrigo!!??

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Eww. I've heard this before though with various yarns. As gross as it is I don't think it would stop me from buying a yarn.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Eww. I've heard this before though with various yarns. As gross as it is I don't think it would stop me from buying a yarn.
I agree with you, Jan. I would purchase natural Malabrigo again. In an way, the 'earth' that came out into my wash pan that day brought to my mind the visions of this white sheep who gets to enjoy his environment! I wasn't put off at all, but I was surprised because my hanks were so pristine looking! Add to that, I knit fast, finish quickly, minimal handling, no laying around, no smoking. So the 'earth' was definitely in the yarn from jumpstreet. Alllllll the way from South America! Or, wherever.

I've since read that the kettle-dyed Malabrigo doesn't have quite the amount of earthiness embedded because of the extra bath it receives during the dying process.

BTW, the natural, undyed, white Malabrigo is much much softer than the dyed Malabrigo, btw. Which is why I purchased every hank that Halcyon Yarns had in stock. It's hard to find the undyed natural color. So I still have a little hoard of it.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Softer...good to know.. I bought some Madeline Tosh Sock last night for a scarf for my hairdresser and it feels heavenly! I'm really think seriously of getting so e worsted weight for a sweater at some point.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I think that is every knitter's toughest step.....deciphering the language and expressions in the pattern itself! It's not the actual DOING of the knitting.....it's UNDERSTANDING what you're supposed to do!

I finally quit knitting the sweaters of one of my all time favorite Swedish designers. She writes up her designs in Swedish, but somewhere in the translation....things go awry. Plus, you can always count on errata, especially if the design is newly released. Gah! I was ALWAYS scratching my head...."is this just a language thing....or is this an error?"

I'm sure your daughter's sweater will turn out beautifully in the Shepard's Wool. It will last longer, wearing well without a thousand pills that age a sweater prematurely.

Be sure to post final photos for us, eh?

And, what is your Ravelry handle? Or, if you'd prefer not to publicize it, 'friend' me over there....I'll friend you back!
It's the same one I have on here. Makes it easier that way, not so many names to remember.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABC's Mom For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (12-04-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I found it! There aren't spaces or punctuation on Rav so you always have to take that in account when you search. My name is JanCA.

ETA- I have a bunch of friends that I have no idea who they really are because of the name change.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~