Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
OK, I'm looking at the DVD listing. Where should I start? I'm not sure how much I have to spend right now, I might get 2 sets. Please advise.

I look forward to seeing your socks. Will you do 2 @ a time to avoid SSS, top down, toe up....I look forward to reading about your adventure...when the time comes keep us updated, please. Inquiring minds want to know...why haven't you done socks?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
OK, I'm looking at the DVD listing. Where should I start? I'm not sure how much I have to spend right now, I might get 2 sets. Please advise.

I look forward to seeing your socks. Will you do 2 @ a time to avoid SSS, top down, toe up....I look forward to reading about your adventure...when the time comes keep us updated, please. Inquiring minds want to know...why haven't you done socks?
I've never knitted socks mainly because they are futzy little things. Same goes for gloves.

I hate working with DPN's.

I don't wear socks.

But I totally admire all the beautiful socks I see displayed! I sometimes wear footies at my art shows when the homeowner has a No Shoes policy (very common). Pantyhose under my cropped slacks makes me too hot. If I could knit a pretty pair of knee socks that would STAY UP, that would be very nice, and useful.

I've seen the different methods...toe up, cuff down, two at a time, one at a time, dpns, magic loop, etc.

It's mind boggling.

No worries about SSS with me. I'm too goal-oriented and driven to the Finish Line to knit half a pair of socks! I do believe I'd prefer focusing on one sock at a time. And probably cuff down.

What is considered the standard?....toe up or cuff down?

Eunny Jang did a great lesson on knitting the gussets. It was easy enough, just futzy.

I'd suggest getting the KDTV series IN ORDER, that is, starting with Series 100. But you might also like to grab the current new one, Series 900.

I say IN ORDER cuz sometimes I don't see the earlier DVD sets/series for sale at all on their website! If you get one series, you'll want them all!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Unfortunately series 100 DVD is out of stock. I put the first two on my wishlist, but I'll look at the rest, too.

Toe up are my favorite because it's easy to try them on as you go to get length and circumference right. Turkish cast on, knit till you need to start heel and then knit to the top. I learned a new heel at the last class and adore it! Unfortunately I usually can't wear them...too thick for my fat feet.

I will also say that I take quite a few classes, but I will admit that it's mostly for the social benefits. There's only a few teachers that I've taken them from, but they are both excellent and patient if you're learning a new technique. Of course, this is at my LYS which I go to twice a week to knit with a group.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Unfortunately series 100 DVD is out of stock. I put the first two on my wishlist, but I'll look at the rest, too.
Yeah, I noticed that too but it's available for download. How does that work? Do you then burn your own DVD or what?

I like toe up socks because I don't want to Kitchener stitich and the reasons Jan listed. Also, if I run out of yarn I can just have shorter tops. 2@a time because I hate starting again on the same thing, same with sweater front L&R.
ArtLady, you could auction your socks to the highest bidder!

I used the Turkish cast on but it was a bit troublesome for me. I'll try it again. I figure I have to do it several times before I decide do I or do I not like it.

I've never been to a knitting class. I'm a very un-social person so I avoid crowds...anything more than 2 people. If I get the DVDs I think I'd get the benefits of a class w/o the social part. I know, I know, I'm weird...nay, bizarre.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for the SOCKS tip about toe-up being the best. I will do that.

Yeah, Jan...you're very fortunate to have great teachers at your LYS. My sad experiences stemmed from greedy LYS owners...who would chronically overbook a class (for the money in their own pocket), or allow knitters to sign up for a class they shouldn't be in. So the teacher (being kind) had to spend all her energy teaching the less experienced students how to do simple things they should have already been proficient in.

My Color-Work class was 6 hours all day...and cost $250 or so. A great teacher, very proficient Fair Isle knitter/designer...had to spend all her energy helping a handful of knitters to work with dpn's....how to get stitches onto the 4 needles...and other simple things like that. It was a real time suck. But it wasn't the teacher's fault. The LYS was at fault for overbooking the numbers...and by not pre-screening experience level more carefully. I felt robbed.

...so I basically taught myself at that class. I learned a few things about steeking...gaining a measure of confidence about cutting your knitting...

....but the other aspects of color knitting...intarsia, etc...I sorta already knew...

...so I spent $240 to learn what a steek is.

I do belong to the South Sound Knitters Guild. Our monthly meetup is held at a LYS that is closed on Sunday. We meet the 2nd Sunday of each month. It's a relaxing 2 hours. The ladies (except for one) are all very nice. I don't go every month due to scheduling conflicts. The dues are $15 per year. I've learned good things at the meetings: that's how I found Knitting Help.com! LOL!

First they told me about ABOUT.COM....then KNITTER'S REVIEW.COM...and from there I saw a video how-to referral to visit KNITTINGHELP.COM! So I liked Knitting Help forum much better than any other forums...so that's the one I stuck with. I don't participate in any other forums. It's too exhausting. I belong to Rav, of course, but I don't participate in a too many forums or groups over there.

I keep a low profile I think, gauging by my number of 'posts'. I do get a lot of folks who message me personally with questions...they find me by spotting my projects...and I always answer and try to be helpful. I've actually made two BFF'S that way. One in Santa Cruz, Ca...another in Austin, Texas!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Wow..that bites. For our LYS the money for class goes directly to the teacher..we pay her. They expect you to buy your yarn at the LYS of course, but I don't know if they check. I know most do. I usually only have to pay about $60-$100 for a class. Never heard of one as much as you paid, but I suppose it's possible. I'll have to check.

Normally there is a pre-arranged number of students and if they have an extra one or two they ask the teacher. I think they also tell those signing up ahead of time what will be expected of them. We all kind of help each other, too.

As for being un-social, GG..I am shy, don't like being the center of attention, don't really like parties, etc. It took me a long time to get brave enough to even walk into an LYS. I'm very comfortable in there now. I've helped new knitters often and am very involved now. There's always a few annoying people in any group, but it's usually easy to avoid them. It's funny..we all sit in the same seats almost every week like an assigned seat.

Re: socks.. I don't knit two at a time, but I do cast on both socks at the same time or close to it. That way you knit a bit on one or the other. If you need to take your knitting with you somewhere you can choose the one that suits you.. like not taking the one with gusset increases or counting where it might be hard to concentrate.

For turkish cast on I was taught with these last socks (I have 6 cast on in various stages) we wrap 8, knit across the first needle, then using the tail and the working yarn knit around both needles. Then start your increases knitting the double stitches as one each time. Easy once you get the hang of it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 11-26-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Re: socks.. I don't knit two at a time, but I do cast on both socks at the same time or close to it. That way you knit a bit on one or the other. If you need to take your knitting with you somewhere you can choose the one that suits you.. like not taking the one with gusset increases or counting where it might be hard to concentrate....
Great tip, Jan! That's what I'll do...two at a time...ON DIFFERENT NEEDLES! Little bit on Lefty...little bit on Righty! Back and forth!

Won't lose my mojo....if I ever find my sock mojo....

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
For turkish cast on I was taught with these last socks (I have 6 cast on in various stages) we wrap 8, knit across the first needle, then use the tail and knit around both needles. Then start your increases knitting the double stitches as one each time. Easy once you get the hang of it.
Is it OK if I copy this to my Gramma's Useful Stuff blog? I want to try it but I'm afraid that when I get around to it, I won't find it again. Another reason I do 2 @ a time socks and also why I really prefer circular needles, I can find both of them at the same time. My secret fantasy is that one day I will acquire organizational skills I can really use.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too but it's available for download. How does that work? Do you then burn your own DVD or what?
I think you can burn anything you like if it's a downloadable video. You buy it, you own it for your own personal use. The only snafu I would foresee is having a DVD write-able or re-write-able disc with enough space to hold the content. Might need several discs. The SERIES that you purchase from Interweave are burned onto 4 discs.

Like iTunes...music...I am able to burn the songs to a disc and listen in my car. Don't want to wear headphones (ipod) when I'm driving.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
I think you can burn anything you like if it's a downloadable video. You buy it, you own it for your own personal use.
I finally found on the site that the d/l is mp4 format. I think it should play on my computer, but I don't know for sure. I emailed them about it, told them I run Linux, think it would work, if not could I get a refund. I could save it to computer and on a usb stick. Watching it on the computer wouldn't be a problem for me as long as it works.