Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Ladyd215
Casting On

I need help "Back Ribbing" on Dog sweater.
Hello, I'm very new to knitting and decided to take on a dog sweater after doing a basic scarf from the " I taught my self how to knit kit, by BOYE". I'm fairly done because I will not be adding the pocket that goes on the back of the sweater. Ok, now that I have filled everyone in here's where I'm stuck at.

Finishing: Sew neck seam to markers.

Back Ribbing: With RS facing, MC and circular needle, pick up and knit 33 sts along body from marker to back. K26 from spare needle dec 3 sts evenly across. Pick up and knit 33 sts along opposite side of body to marker. 89 sts. Join in round, and placing a marker on first st, proceed as follows:
Next round: Purl
Next round: Knit
Rep last 2 rounds 3 times more. Cast off purlways.

ok, that's the next section I'm working on. I'm stuck because I'm not sure if they are telling me to sew the neck seam 1st then proceed with the back ribbing or the back ribbing is the direction for the sewing of neck seam. Then, I don't understand none of the second part, lol. I'm not sure if they are saying pick up and knit 33 sts on the circular needle and if so which way am I knitting? Vertical or horizontal? I see my marker but what do they mean along the body to the back? Then I have no clue what to do with the spare needle, it says knit 26 from spare needle, where am I knitting to, the other side or along the circular needle?

Now let say what I have tried and thought it was so wrong. first I tried with a straight needle(plus I didn't have a circular needle), I picked up and knitted 33 stitches, then I started with the ribbing, p1k1, did that for 3 rows and noticed that the pattern was sideways.

I took the sideways part out and made my own circular needles using a small old phone cord (I didn't need), some dowels, glue and tape and a small screw driver. I have tried to do exactly what is says but it still comes out sideways.

PLEASE HELP

Last edited by Ladyd215 : 11-30-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Adding picture of the dog sweater
Ladyd215 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Were you instructed to move some of the stitches to a spare needle? Can you link to your pattern? That would be a big help.
It looks like you are to be knitting in the round for the ribbing after the seams are done. It might be possible to leave one seam open and knit the ribbing flat and then seam it as part of the neck seam.
I really need to see your pattern, maybe others will understand without it as they are much more experienced than I.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Ladyd215
Casting On

Thanks for replying. Here's a link I found with all the instructions and a picture.
http://dachsie.org/vbb/showthread.ph...ocket-Dog-Coat
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
OK, it sounds like this pattern: http://dc136.4shared.com/doc/uNYvCNj2/preview.html

They want you to sew up the neck seam first and then pick up stitches around the body of the sweater and joint to knit in the round. This will make a short garter stitch border all around the lower edge of the sweater. You'll do this by picking up stitches along the edge at one side onto a circular needle and then knitting the stitches off the holder onto the same circular needle.Then you'll continue with the same circular, picking up more stitches on the other side and joining in the round probably at the front neck seam. After you pick up the stitches you'll be knitting out from the edge, so you will be knitting sideways.
I do admire your ingenuity in making your own circular needle. Good one!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Ladyd215
Casting On

Thank you so much, I think I have it, I'm going to sew the neck first then refer to your response and hopefully we'll have success.... Thanks again...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Ladyd215
Casting On

Here's the sweater.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	56236  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Ladyd215
Casting On

Lol, no here is the sweater, the last pic was my homemade circular needles...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	56237  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Your circular needles are impressive and I can see that the length of the cable is adjustable. GG's idea of not seaming the neck and picking up the stitches on a straight needle then seaming the neck last is a good one. If the circular gives any problem you could do it that way.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Ladyd215 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Quote:
I took the sideways part out and made my own circular needles using a small old phone cord (I didn't need), some dowels, glue and tape and a small screw driver.

I'm impressed. Very ingenious. I never tried making my own circs, never could figure out anything I thought would work. I look forward to seeing the finished sweater.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Ladyd215 (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Wow, that is very clever!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote