Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Beek
Casting On

fun fur scarf - why purl? [Bernat boa]
I became a knitter in the last 24 hours and went a bit wild today buying wool and fun fur (chenille type.. not "eyelash").
Below is the pattern I've started - my question is: Is it really necessary to PURL the second row (more or less) - couldn't I just knit the whole thing? I get all turned around with switching stitches part way through the row (and this fun fur is challenging enough to deal with).. does purling serve some purpose here? it really doesn't look any different to my virgin eyes!! I don't even know if, after the 4 rows of knitting, the thing was "Wrong Side" around.. I just assumed it was and away I went.

thanks.

I would post the link but can't, as a newbie. This is for Bernat boa long scarf, available from their website:
INSTRUCTIONS
Cast on 23 sts.
Knit 4 rows.
Next row: (WS) K3. Purl to last 3 sts. K3.
Next row: Knit.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures 48 ins [122 cm], ending with WS facing for next row.
Knit 4 rows. Cast off knitways.
Beek is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,303 Posts
Since you are using fun fur and the stitches won't show anyhow I really don't see why you couldn't just use all knits. You'll get garter stitch which isn't going to curl like stockinette. Just my 2 cents. Others, more experienced, may have a much better response.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I agree. Your stitches won't show so I don't see any point in purling. That's why I don't knit with fun fur..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Beek
Casting On

thanks so much for the quick replies - I'll go about my business then, no purling for now!
curious why they bothered with it though, when FF is already such a pain.

thanks again!
Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Yes, fun fur and boucle yarn are two where you could easily knit all stitches. One thing you may not know as a beginner is that you can do garter stitches by either all knitting on each row or all purling on each row. I know one knitter who does her garter stitch with all purls.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,116 Times in 2,829 Posts
I agree that you can go ahead with all knit rows here but be aware that garter stitch (all knit rows or all purl rows) will use up more yarn. It's a denser stitch than stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) and so you may need more yarn to get the length scarf given in the pattern.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote