Old 12-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #41
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

argyle-in-the-round video
I'm officially excited. That's me being excited. I've located a Eunny video tutorial (yeah, we're on a first-name basis now) on intarsia in the round, specifically argyle intarsia! I haven't watched it yet, because I have a work project to finish before I take a big knitting break. It's episode 910 of Knitting Daily TV. It was $4 to download, but it'll be worth it to me, because there's some other useful stuff on it, too.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Thanks, Carol. They're Lion Brand Sock-Ease one ball makes a pair (and it does) 75% wool, 25% nylon. I didn't reinforce the toe or heel, that's new to me and I was already past the toe when I read about you doing it. I'll want to know what you used, did you knit double strands, etc. but I'm sure that can wait. I'm not ready to start my next pair yet.

I learned a few things. I think the ergonomic needles contributed to my laddering problems. I prefer the short row heel I worked before over Fleegle heels, adding the stitches for the Fleegle heel made it more difficult which may be attributable to the needles, but I don't like the shape as well and can't say it feels more comfortable. Next time I will try the Sweet Tomato Heel. As for the waffle rib, if I do it again for the sock top I will probably go down a needle size when I start it and will do a few more rounds of stockinette first.

How's the argyle coming along?

ETA: I missed the Eunny video intarsia lesson post. Sounds good to me. If you can learn what you need for $4 it's almost a steal! I bought the first season and have only watched the first two episodes. I really want to watch them all, I'm sure there is lots to learn.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #43
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Re reinforcing, I've used wooly nylon, and I've used laceweight Kid Seta. Yes, you just hold both strands together. The reinforcing strand is so thin, you shouldn't notice much of a difference in fabric thickness. Both came out great. In some pairs where I reinforced the heels with woolly nylon, the toes have already worn out, but the heels are holding up just fine. Lesson learned.

I think you're going to love the Sweet Tomato Heel. It makes a very natural-looking deep cup for your heel.

I haven't started the argyle yet, but I did watch the video. The technique makes a ton more sense now that I've seen the demo. I'm going to watch it again and then make a practice argyle cuff in worsted before I try it on the actual socks. I'll try to take some closeup pics of the process and post them.

Last edited by dancejunky : 12-25-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add a missed detail
dancejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dancejunky For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (12-25-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

It can be done! Here's my practice swatch.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #45
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Beautiful!

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
dancejunky (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #46
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

With renewed optimism, I have forged ahead and produced a few rows of argyle in the round.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #47
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Yay!

I hope it's smooth sailing for you!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #48
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, it's pretty good so far. Soon I'll have to start doing some increases (these are going to be knee socks), and I guess I'll just put them on the sides so they don't interfere with the pink diamonds. I'm thinking paired M1 increases, but I'll have to swatch to see how I like those. What do people usually use for increases up the back of the leg? Come to think of it, paired increases on both sides might be too many increases at once (4 incr. in a round instead of 2).
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #49
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Not that I have any experience with it, but I think the M1 would be a good choice as it doesn't really show much, kfb gives that purl look that you might not want. What about KRL and KLL? What's usually used? Good question, I'm clueless there. Are you doing the increases in the back? or on the sides as for the toe? I agree about paired increases being too much. These socks are going to be awesome!

So I'm sitting here thinking what would I consider doing, and I think I'd do 1 increase on the left and one on the right, maybe one on each needle. Hopefully someone who knows something will check in and offer some real advice.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #50
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know what KRL and KLL are, but I think I've figured it out. The M1 increases (one on each side, leaning in opposite directions) look pretty good, so I think I'll use those. To keep the diamonds from getting skewed, I'll do an increase at each end of the front needle, then (however many rows up I need) I'll do the same increases at each end of the back needle. That'll keep everything even and keep the diamonds nice and centered.

I'm doing the increases on the sides (as for the toes), because I don't want the diamonds to be bigger in the back than in the front.