Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
Maritoo
Casting On

Cable pattern question
Hello, and happy new year!!

I know that I have probably taken on more than I can chew, but I'm determined to do it anyway! I'm working on the Rachel sweater by Lori Utley on knitzilla, and I'm just trying to understand the general directions it gives.

For increase rows, it says to "continue to increase before and after marker and incorporate new stitches as they appear into cable panel".

For example, the first row is p2, k4, p8, k4, p8, k4, and the marker falls on the third stitch of the first k4. Do I count that added stitch as a knit, completing the first k4 of that run, or not count that added stitch at all and knit the next stitch off the right needle and only incorporating the added stitch on the next row when it comes back around? I'm just not sure how and when I'm supposed to incorporate those new stitches. I'd,really appreciate some help before I start knitting this pattern.
Maritoo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 4,120 Times in 3,765 Posts
Welcome to KH!
Usually you would work this stitch as a knit stitch and continue to add new sts as knit sts (or purl sts) until you have enough for a pattern repeat. You want the pattern to gradually grow out of a line of increases so you don't count it as part of the pattern until you've got enough sts for a cable, for example.
I'm not sure where you are on this sweater. Is this the raglan increases?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ooded-cardigan
Maritoo (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Maritoo
Casting On

I blame it all on the New Year's Eve champaign
Thank you for replying, salmonmac, and to answer your question, yes, it is the raglan increase. Unfortunately, the example I gave of the first row knitting pattern is of the Irene version of the sweater, I'm doing the Rachel.

So for the Rachel, I have cast on the stitches, completed the rs raglan set up row, and the ws non-increasing row. The cable pattern starts on the next rs row, and the written directions say to maintain band in seed stitch, p2, k4, p2, k4. I guess my confusion is that in the other two sweater patterns I've followed, the increases were included in the written directions, but I don't think that's the case here. In keeping with the raglan set up, the increases are made with a knit front and back stitch, and nowhere does it mention a purl increase.

So my very long-winded question is, should the written directions actually read 4 seed stitches for the band, p1, m1, m1, p1, k4, p2, etc.

As to my original question about the added stitches, never mind that, the title of this post explains my confusion there. Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hope it was a great celebration!

I'm not sure I understand where the marker is but it probably doesn't matter. If it's between 2 purl sts you would pfb (purl front and back), slip marker, pfb, k4, p2 etc. On the next row, work the new stitch into the pattern either as a purl stitch or a knit stitch. Most of the new sts will work into the sweater as purl sts on the front until you get to the position for the cable. Then you can see the use of knit sts for the column that will be the cable cross. Does the chart help with the position of the cables?

The top photo on the Ravelry page may show this better than I can explain it.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ooded-cardigan
Maritoo (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Maritoo
Casting On

I AM AT MY WITS END!!
I had to put this down for a few days because I was completely exasperated. I've tried knitting it every way possible and still end up either one stitch short, or one extra, depending on if I do the increases in pattern or not. I think the buttonhole has be the culprit, as it starts on the very next ws row after the raglan increase and is written as

On first ws row, add a buttonhole to the seed stitch button band (4stitches) as follows:
Row 1 (ws) k1, p1, skpo, kpo
Row 2 (rs) k1, co2, k1, p1

The kpo stitch is new to me but is described as k1, pass first stitch over second stitch, and I'm assuming off the needle, though it doesn't say so.

If I didn't take that kpo stitch off the needle, and I do the increases out of pattern, everything would line up perfectly for the cable pattern and I would have the correct number of stitches.

I've emailed the writer of the pattern, I hope to hear from her. If I don't, I'm going to buy the pattern again, pm it to you and beg, beg, and beg some more for you to take a look at it. I really want to make this sweater! 5 of them actually.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Writing to the designer is fine but another copy isn't really necessary. We should be able to work this out with the rows you've given.
The fact that 2sts are cast on in row 2 means that 2sts should be cast off in row 1. On row one slip one to the right hand needle, knit one, pass slipped stitch over and off the needle. Knit one more stitch, pass 2nd stitch on right needle over the first and off the needle. That'll give you the 2 cast off sts.
You'll need 5sts to do this so account for that when you finish the row. At any rate, make sure the cable pattern stitch for the remainder of the row lines up. On the next 2 rows, make sure the seed stitch is still in pattern.
Maritoo (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Maritoo
Casting On

I'm moving on..
Thank you so much for your help, you gave me great advice.

I finally got past the first few rows, but then ran into trouble again, so I'm setting this aside until I can run into town and get a private session with an instructor. I feel like I've wasted a week trying to figure this out, and I should have had a sweater done already.

I've moved on to this sweater http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...where-cardigan

I plan to modify the collar, make it a bit longer and add pockets. I can do all that, yet I can't figure out that pattern, drat it all!

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Maritoo
Casting On

I heard back from Lori, and the increases are not done in pattern, are made with the kfb stitch, and are not counted until the next row. With my self-made buttonhole issue resolved, I think I'm ready to give this another try. As soon as I'm done with the other cardigan I started yesterday.

Never again will I come home slightly tipsy from a party and think "Hey, I know! I'll start that complicated sweater pattern RIGHT NOW, what could go wrong?!. Sheesh.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Ah, good to know about the increase sts and happy that the buttonholes are straightened out too.
Yes, a clear head, a good night's sleep and strong coffee help enormously.
Happy knitting!
Maritoo (01-09-2016)