Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
ejcate
Casting On

My first sweater. Help with pattern
This is my first sweater.

I am following the Pert Classic Pullover pattern, size large, from the Lion Brand Yarn website. I managed to knit the front and back and moved onto the first sleeve.

It starts with a 2.5" long k1 p1 rib. Then you k 1 row and p 1 row. After this I think I ran into trouble.

The pattern says: "Knit, inc 1 st each side - 52 sts. Continue to work in St st, AT THE SAME TIME, inc 1 st each side every 6 rows 10 times - 72 sts. Work even until peice measures 11.5" from beg, end with WS row."

SO, I thought I got through the increase section, ended up with 72 sts on my needles. BUT it was already about 15.5" long from the beginning. So, I think I did something wrong.

Here's what I did:
I knit a row, increasing 1 st at each end (row 1). I then flipped the work and purled across (row 2), flipped knit across (row 3), flipped purled across (row 4), flipped knit across (row 5), and flipped purled across (row 6). I repeated this 10 times, ending up with 72 sts on my needles.

What did I do wrong?

My resulting peice is about 9.25" wide at the beginning (which is correct according to the pattern), and about 20.25" wide at the end (across my 72 sts). The pattern says it should only be 15" max. And, like I mentioned, it is about 15.5" long from the beginning (this includes the 2.5" of ribbing).

If it is just a matter of my gauge being off, I would love suggestions on how to move forward.

Thank you!
ejcate is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Your row gauge may be different than in the pattern. It seems you did inc on every 6th row, which should be Rows 1, 7, 13, 20 and so on. What does it say to do after you reach the 11" from the beginning? If it's just to work even until sleeve is X" long, and do the underarm/armhole shaping then you're probably okay. I'd say if it's the right number of stitches, then the increase rate may not matter. If you want to clip the sides together and try on the sleeve to see how it fits, that may reassure you. It may be you need the extra half inch in length anyway, I would. You can deviate from the pattern a little as long as it comes out the right size.

eta - I found the pattern http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90186AD.html and on ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...assic-pullover

11" sleeves are ridiculously short. I know this is an oversize sweater, which would mean the shoulders are wider so the sleeves don't need to be as long, but they're practically the same length in all sizes. That's not correct. I'd say to pin the sleeves to the underarm of the sweater body then hold it up to you and see if they're too long. If they are, then check your row gauge - the pattern says 27 rows = 4 in which is almost 7 rows per inch. You could rip them back about halfway and change the inc rate to every 4 rows and when you get to 72 stitches they should be a few inches shorter. If they're still longer than 12", then you might skip the last couple of incs and go for 68 sts and do less decreasing on the sleeve cap, which may happen anyway because if your row gauge is off that much, the cap is going to be too long anyway. But then you should end up with the 10 sts sooner so it may fit the armhole.

Last edited by suzeeq : 12-06-2012 at 09:30 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi ejcate!

I agree with suzeeq that it's probably row gauge, but I thought I'd chime in since I have such fond memories of making this mistake on multiple projects. ()
I've had the row gauge problem before but another time I had to go back and place a stitch marker at each increase before I discovered I had begun the increases later in the pattern than I should have. I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but maybe you could give it a try if you don't think your row gauge is off. It just gives you a different way to stare at a piece you've been staring at for a while.
I was looking at your sleeve schematic and the pattern asks you to start these increases on the first stockinette stitch row after you finish the 2.5" of k1p1 ribbing. So subtract 2.5" from your pre-sleevecap arm length given in the pattern which is 11.5". This gives you just 9" of st st to get your sleeve increases done. Assuming you are working at the stated row gauge of 27 sts/4" consistently up the piece, then you will be knitting 6.75 rows per inch. That should give you just enough room to get all those increases in but if your row gauge is off, then you are probably getting fewer increases in per inch.
Hope you get it sorted!

Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rie For This Useful Post:
suzeeq (12-06-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Did you do the part that says "increase 6 sts evenly across"?? That's the row before you start the stockinette part. Maybe you missed that part. (just guessing).

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote