Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Jinxie
Casting On

8 inches in ten hours?
We're driving up to New York for the holidays, and I've yet to finish my last gift. It's a simple ribbed hat. I'll be the first to say that I'm no Eunny Jang when it comes to speed, but I'm really concerned about getting it finished. The drive is no less than 10 hours, and I need to knit the last 8 inches of hat, including the decreases.

Is this even possible?
How do you guys deal with knitting in low-light situations?
Jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Actually, finishing in 10 hours sounds do-able. If you don't finish you can always give the hat on the needles with the promise to finsh soon.
I have this small light for these situations (and for power outages).
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Ten hours -- without interruptions -- is probably workable if the pattern is as simple as you say. If you're traveling with small children, all bets are off though.

There are all manner of small battery operated lights that might do the job, but a lot of it will depend on the color of the yarn and how good your eyes are. If it's a dark color it might be hard to manage by flashlight. My girlfriend can knit by the map light, or even in the dark if the pattern is simple. But she does this for a living and has been knitting for over 30 years, so muscle memory takes over.

But the absolute worst thing that can happen is you don't get it completed on time, in which case you can give them what you have and finish it after all the festivities are over (or even while they're going on -- which I find can be a VERY useful distraction!).

Good luck!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

How did the car knitting go?

I wanted to chime in that I have a headlamp style LED light that I love. I hang it around my neck in the car, on the dimmest setting (so as not to disturb my husband's driving view). I use the pivoting head to aim it right at my knitting. I can check the brand if anyone's interested. It looks like this one, but has three adjustable brightness settings.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
DavidSydney63 (01-05-2013)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by amy View Post
How did the car knitting go?

I wanted to chime in that I have a headlamp style LED light that I love. I hang it around my neck in the car, on the dimmest setting (so as not to disturb my husband's driving view). I use the pivoting head to aim it right at my knitting. I can check the brand if anyone's interested. It looks like this one, but has three adjustable brightness settings.

Will you have lights for sale in your expanded inventory?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I can't knit in the car due to motion sickness. Nor can I read. We have a long car trip to AZ coming up, too. Ugh.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Will you have lights for sale in your expanded inventory?
GG, that's not a bad idea!

Jan, I read your post as "morning sickness" and almost had a heart attack.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by amy View Post

Jan, I read your post as "morning sickness" and almost had a heart attack.
That would be interesting...I just turned 60!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote